New OASC Winter 2019

Hi All,

I am currently a CI trying to get my CFC, I have been trying to gather all the information I can about how OASC has changed now

Many Thanks

I believe itā€™s now a 12 minute interview and a series of leadership activities

I donā€™t suppose you know what the interview entails now?

Some others will be best fit to answer that. Never been to the dark side

1 Like

I think theyā€™ve removed much of the RAF knowledge and current affairs sections and focus more on you and your motivation but I could be wrong.

1 Like

This is what Iā€™ve heard also.

I will be going later this year. I have been told itā€™s a 12 minute chat about why you want to be an officer in the ATC.

1 Like

Iā€™m going in a fortnight so I can update you after. But the paperwork says the individual planning ex has gone and the interview is conducted in your gym kit following the hangar exercises. The focus is motivation for joining and awareness of RAFAC. We still have group discussion, leaderless ex and group planning to do. All in one day.

2 Likes

Has there been a cancellation of some of the OASC dates that were scheduled to happen between now and the end of the year?

Yep, I was due to go in October but was cancelled with no reason given.

@mprentice1 - curious, the same effect appears to be happening for November dates as well (this was in response to a submitted online booking made obo a valid candidate: the system after a while simply showed the status as ā€œCancelledā€ on refresh )

I shall contact Wg on Monday, and see if thereā€™s any gen on this.

I do wonder if this is being driven by a hard RAF recruitment drive resulting in RAFAC being binned off to make room

Not good for those who may have booked leave, care responsibilities etc to attend and are unable to make dates free in the future.This in particular at short notice or where staff have the amount of leave embargoed especially following Christmas to the start of the new financial year.

Another reason for CFAVs to beof with the organisation and the organisation starts to complain when they canā€™t attend and start to make thraets etc.

1 Like

I sat the ā€˜oldā€™ OASC earlier this year. I hear most of it has changed.

I believe it is now a 12 minute interview focusing mostly on RAFAC. Hangar exercises are still there and the group discussion. No more planning exes.

I may be incorrect, but this is what Iā€™ve heard. In fact, I seem to remember an email sent out talking about this. This is the same for RAF regulars and reserves commissions too.

I do question how long the ā€œattending oascā€ part of the process will continue for.

2 Likes

Many questioned why it started in the first place.
HQAC waxed lyrical about standards and similar things and making Air Cadet officers ā€œbetterā€ as did many ATC people, but you canā€™t see the join between us old lot who did the RC chat and those whoā€™ve been to OASC. But it was something to keep OASC busy when officer/aircrew recruiting nose-dived 10ish years ago and another unnecessary hoop was invented. If it added value fair enough.

@bob is spot on, binning ā€˜coursesā€™ is not on, it is downright disrespectful. Mutual Respect ā€¦ pah. Or didnā€™t OASC get the email.

1 Like

They do keep banging on about how expensive it is for us to use it, and how much of a privilege it isā€¦

ā€¦but are we getting that privilege at the expense of other good things the organisation could do?

I agree with @Teflon

I went through the course last monthā€¦

Hereā€™s what to expect!

Arrival

Youā€™re asked to arrive for 1600hrs. Not sure this was necessary but we all did and it allowed candidates to mingle/network and head to the Sgts mess for dinner.

We were told to bring cash for dinner, but didnā€™t pay in the end. Not sure if this will continue though!

I arrived in my suit, one of two I brought, but not really needed. Most were just dressed smart for the mess.

There was supposed to be an evening brief, this has now been cancelled. Understand this is the case for all boards going forwards.

The room

Bring some bedding ā€“ the issued stuff isnā€™t great. Also, bring a plaster (no seriously) for the red light on the fire alarm in the room. Trust me, if youā€™re a light sleeper, youā€™ll understandā€¦

Boarding process

We were given permission to wear PE kit to the mess for breakfast. Then headed over to the AdAstral hall for 0700hrs. Had a brief at 0715hr and were split into two syndicates of six.

Moved to the hangar for familiarisation of rules and kit. Then back into the hall for a start at exactly 0835hrs.

It was then:

Group discussion with three subjects

Group planning exercise lasting until not long after 10am.

Off to the Hangar for a repeat of the hangar rules and then the leaderless exercise followed by lunch.

Then onto the leadership exercise

After this it was around 1430hrs and we moved back to the hall. We then had a few mins to wait before straight into the 12min interview. I wonā€™t say much about this!

Finished by 3pm and then, as I had a fair distance to drive, we were off!

No need for the suit, didnā€™t even leave its bag.

Some tips ā€“ donā€™t be quiet. Make sure you clearly make your point and check understanding.

We were told four weeks for results, though thatā€™s no passed for me. Hopefully hearing soon!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.