New junior

I’m a new cadet and we’re going to Arnhem. Any tips for the long bus trip :weary:

Earphones, food, banter.

1 Like

Pillow

1 Like

Films on your phone, especially on the way back when everyone is quiet and tired. Bring along a pack of tissues, some gum and food and drink that isn’t too smelly!

Good idea thanks

Add in some wet wipes to freshen up plus something like boiled sweets in your bag to give you a sugar boost.

Can’t add to the great suggestions above however, if you suffer from travel sickness this can really help.

Take a newspaper with you and sit on it, I have used this trick loads of times on junior cadets. There are some really boring reasons why this works however, its really boring so just take it from me that it works.

Enjoy the trip.

How about a “learn to speak Dutch” audio book?

1 Like

No need, all Dutch people speak very good English.

While fairly true, it is not the point :smiley:

It is, when I went to France and Germany on school trips and other times, walk into shops and so on they speak English to you.

Unless you are going to live in a country, learning the language when English is your first language is meaningless. I walk around towns and hear many different languages, so which one should we be expected to learn?

1 Like

The Dutch will, in general, be more fluent/confident in English than those of other countries (including many in england!) , it is not 100% guaranteed that every Dutch person can speak good english if they can speak it at all. Many will welcome the chance to practice the skill too.

However, as a point of courtesy, get some local phrases under your belt before visiting any foreign country and don’t just be an arrogant englishman.

Bedankt! Tot ziens!

3 Likes

Incubus is on the same page as I…

Many Dutch people do speak good English; though over the years I have still come across many who don’t.
But I wasn’t suggesting the audiobook as a means to an end; I was suggesting it as an interesting way to kill a couple of hours, and to pick up some helpful and courteous local phrases.

The idea that we shouldn’t bother learning any other languages, nor even simple phrases in other languages, “because everyone speaks English anyway” personally disgusts me. It smacks of arrogance and laziness. The stereotypical “British tourist”.

Every time I’ve taken cadets to France or The Netherlands I’ve tried to teach them some simple phrases.

Some people are not good at learning languages - that’s fine. I’m not brilliant at it, though personally I enjoy trying. It’s quite satisfying to be able to converse with locals in their own language and actually get somewhere with it.

2 Likes

it’s not arrogance it’s just which one do you go for then?
Where i live there are various African, Asian and East European languages. Not the traditional ‘school’ languages.

Having spent 3 years learning French then German because it was expected and then going to those countries and finding putting it into practice didn’t happen, you get a sense of futility, not arrogance.

All of the people we deal with from all over the world, want to speak English when they talk to you.

If you live in a country then that’s a different matter. Most of my mates who have worked abroad for any length of time, learn the local lingo, as they have to.

Whichever you’re going to find in the place to which you’re going.
Going to France? Get some French phrases under your belt. Greece? Pick up some Greek.

There’s a difference between fully learning and striving to become fluent in a language, and learning a little out of courtesy and interest. Certainly, few people can fully master multiple languages (I can’t) but
I think that just making the effort to learn some phrases like “please/thank you/where is/etc” is the very least we can do instead of expecting everyone to speak our language in their own country for our convenience.

3 Likes

Indeed, it’s just politness to be at able to say please and thank you plus where is the nearest toilet.

Absolutely…
“Waar is het toilet, alsjeblieft?” has helped me numerous times :wink:

1 Like

Thank goodness I found this thread as I’ve got a 2-3 hour bus trip to Brize Norton next month, I know I didn’t create this thread, but thanks for the suggestions.

Whatever happened to singing raucous songs on coaches?
What’s wrong with just taking in the scenery, reading a book or having a doze. Fart lighting was also popular as a distraction, made more fun if the coach stopped quicker.
We didn’t need (didn’t have) any of the gadgetry today’s kids have.

Kids today are boring.

1 Like

Although, today’s gadgets are considerably more interesting than the scenery would most likely be. Say I was driving near the rocky mountains. The scenery would be considerably more interesting than flat grass.