New Cadet HF E-mail server - Alpha testers wanted!

New Cadet HF E-mail server - Alpha testers wanted!

There’s a new Mailbox up-and-running 24/7 for the next couple of weeks that uses the Sound Card mode WINMOR - rather than the
proprietary mode PACTOR - that requires a separate TNC - like a PK-232MBX - to use it.

This means that anyone who has a working HF set-up for modes like PSK-31, SSTV, WSPR, etc., can probably use the same facility to
send and receive e-mails over HF radio - no TNC required!

It’s running at present down in the South West before it goes to its permanent home at the Defence School of Communications and
Information Systems
(have I got that right?) :dry: at Blandford and the Sysop is hoping, with as many users as possible, to sort out
any problems before it goes live full time.

All you need is an authorised ATC call-sign (which becomes, in effect, your e-mail address) a PC, a PC/sound card to Radio
Interface, an HF radio, an antenna, and loads of patience.

If you didn’t know, it works exactly like today’s land-line e-mail system except that it’s a lot slower (remember the days of
‘dial-up’ when you were 10 miles from the exchange?) so although you can send attachments (most are compressed - although pictures are
not) it’s probably best to keep the size of your e-mails down until you understand the limitations of the system.

If you need any help, please PM me (but not before a thorough RTFM first, please :stuck_out_tongue:

System Requirements: 32 or 64 bit Windows OS (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 2003 Server), or under Windows on the
Mac using a VM engine or dual boot arrangement. Windows XP systems require Microsoft .NET v3.5 runtime installed. The DSP demands of
WINMOR require a computer of at least 700 MHz Pentium/Celeron class and at least 512 Meg of memory.

Radios. At the moment we’re saying -any radio- because this is one of the most important areas that we need to investigate. Older
radios like the PRC-320/321 etc., are of particular interest (has anyone made up a PSK-31 interface for a Clansman radio?!).

Software. RMS Express, the program needed to run Winmor can be downloaded here: [color=#0044ff]ftp://autoupdate.winlink.org/User%20Programs/[/color]
(RMS_Express_setup_1.2…9.0.zip)

Excellent ‘How-to’ instructions can be found at the bottom of the page here: [color=#0044ff]http://www.winlink.org/WINMOR[/color]

You must use your normal issued ATC call-sign when you set up the software. The call-sign of the Mailbox is B1MBX (Blandford One MailBoX) and the
frequency can be obtained from the software once it’s all installed (Restricted Service Code required).

Important
The software comes with the default service code PUBLIC which gives you access to all Public Mailboxes that are in the Amateur
Bands. You may not transmit in the Amateur Bands (apart, with permission, on the 5MHz ‘Experiment’ channels) unless you hold an
Amateur Licence. If you’re concerned, you can remove the Service Code ‘PUBLIC’ and these stations/frequencies will then not be
available to your users.

Important
Access to the Cadet Mailboxes and Cadet Frequencies in the software requires a Restricted Service Code (like other non-Amateur
users) which you will need to apply for when you are familiar with the software and have your station set up.

Important
Although it’s pretty secure, please remember that your e-mails could pass through third party hands so you should not enclose or
discuss anything private, classified or of value. Your e-mails could be encrypted, for example, using a ‘private’ and ‘public’ two-
key system, but I do not know if this is permitted by the ATC. You cannot read e-mails being sent by other users by monitoring the
Mailbox on your radio. :evil:

We’ll certainly think about trying this, but I need to confirm this first…

wilf_san

Sounds like fun.
About time I dusted off the old HF set.