New Adj - help!

Got them, thanks! SharePoint joys…suppose i need to get use to this haha!

Play with SharePoint. Most of what you need is Key Documents then narrow to ACP, ACTO, Forms, etc. Figure out what is available in your Wing and Region pages, then anything else you might want requires a check list of different key word search terms.

Another good section to be able to find is old IBNs and announcements - click on Announcements title on the homepage, then change to “All Items” with the drop down menu on the rhs. You’d likely be there forever trying to find information that you’re “sure you saw an IBN about” otherwise using search.

If you use search, though, always check version and date for anything official!

Are you sure you knew what you were getting into when you said “yes”?!

1 Like

There is an IBN index that is very helpful that includes the IBN number and the title.

1 Like

One of the best things you can do with SharePoint is to install OneDrive for business on your PC and sync the document libraries you’re interested in (Key Documents &c). Then you can access files directly from Windows explorer (Mac equivalents no doubt exist) without having to open an internet browser and log into SharePoint.

As an OC that would love to have an Adj… I’d say that part of your job is to keep as much of the routine mundane stuff off of the OC’s desk. Build up trust with your OC so that they are happy for you action things with minimal supervision. You want to do everything you can to make your OC’s life easier.

The Adj job also gives you a great training environment for becoming an OC if that is your ambition.

Good luck in your new role! I found it a very fulfilling job.

My dad and I watched “Sunderland til I die” last year - still the best comedy I’ve seen.

1 Like

I find it really interesting how the Adj role seems to be deemed (generally) as the dep oc / role to do before becoming oc.

I remember when Sunderland came down after that came out, all the home fans chanting “we saw you crumbing on Netflix” at them.

Personally I would want an OC to have been both an Adj and a Training Officer before taking on the role. It’s the grounding you need so that you know what’s going on.

For the same reason having a good Adj & Training Officer more than halved the OC’s workload.

I think it must be more than half - if you have a competent adj and TrgOff the squadron will be on good footing.

OC should have plenty of time to do the boss bits - plus a bit of teaching/getting stuck in.

Trying to do 2 roles is when you start getting stuck in the office.

True: Key Documents > IBNs

But not everything is an IBN and if you find yourself searching the Announcements page the little menu switch isn’t an obvious tool.

Now imagine being a fan watching that when you’ve experienced. It’s like watching your own car crash! :joy:

As an Adj of maturer years now, I try to keep as much tedious crap off the Boss’s desk as possible to allow him to be active out and about on the Sqn as he likes that role and i think it is important that the OC is out and about.
I will also pick up bits and bobs of admin from other staff if that keeps them more active too.
The downside is that it limits my activity with the Cadets on a weekly basis, but i am happy with that as I only have limited time on Sqn and cant always get there in uniform, so hopefully it balances out.
Pre 2020 I got my enjoyment from the AT/DofE side of the Corps so was happy to more my 3-4 hours of Squadron time being a desk jockey as that gave most back to the Sqn. (what 2021 holds, only time will tell personally as my AT tickets have run out)
BUT it is vital you keep doing a good portion of what you enjoy, eg min 25%, ideally 50% of your time should be doing what you consider the fun stuff and hopefully you will be able to have sensible discussions with your OC as to who needs to do what rather than rely on an outdated TOR document. Work out what’s works best for you and your personality, but navigating Sharepoint quickly is what you will need to become competent on for sure.
Enjoy it though, it is a great way to fingers in alot of pies, but not carrying the ultimate can (-oh and avoid being in charge of MT in this new world!)
Cheers all

I have an experienced adjutant at my squadron that is really dedicated. Something we find works well is taking the time to sit down with each other and go through something new step by step. As OC I make the time to do this as I’ve found it saves me more time in the long run. She writes the process down in a notebook and usually is able to do it herself the next time.

If they are NGB quals then they don’t “run out” you just have to remain current or do some CPD with someone who is to become current again! (subject to WATTO /RATTO)

Cheers WelshML, but I was still working on olde tyme grandfather rights and part way through the tedium of getting proper ones when this broke and need to summon the will to do logbook work and another weekend for the basic ticket back, then another for camping, just to do stuff locally, or else go to HML. Just got to decide if it is worth it anymore.

Something I’ve heard several very experienced AT folks say locally. However whenever I advocate for simpler rules for “local” I am reminded by this forum what a moron I am…

Maybe when no-one is qualified for any AT the realisation that something needs to change, at least for low level basic stuff, will set in.

I’ll stop now, before I’m reminded what an idiot I am or before I’m told off for going off topic!

5 Likes

Idiot!
The big wigs will never allow common sense to permit basic walking type AT in a play park without an ML!
Imagine if it got dark, or Karen had forgotten her hair dryer. You need that ML at all times for walking in a park.

1 Like

Why not both?

2 Likes

Thanks for taking it on!
I’ve found the Adj’s role depends on the team’s strengths and weaknesses so, if you know those, you can probably guess the gaps, and some of what needs doing… on some Squadrons you may need to be the “bad cop” to get stuff done, on others the “good cop”…
I’d recommend some stash of secret supplies/spares for everything, for when all the usual printer cartridges/forms/tape etc. run out.
Allocate time and space to going AARGH periodically when you need it and, if no-one else has founded Adjs Anonymous, consider doing so.
Sorry in advance, for any passing padres who clutter up your office drinking tea… Hope yours is some support to you - it’s part of their duties to buy you a pint (or other beverage of choice) afterwards!
All the best!
cheers

1 Like