NCO Assessment

I just sat my JNCO assessment after applying for an NCO. I don’t have very good ATC knowledge of (mainly) officers. Will that matter or not particularly?

Even though knowledge of the ATC is not everything, it is still important. So you could get marked down on not knowing the basics like ranks and when the ATC was founded. So do some revision and learn the officer ranks and the important people in your region, like Wing Commander, Regional Commandant, Warrant Officers.

1 Like

Did you not do this as part of Basic / First Class?
RAF and ATC organisation and history should be covered in the first few months.

Yeah we did pass it I just have difficulties remembering certain stuff. I did my first class 2 years ago prior to lockdown as well.

Thanks. I just don’t remember a lot of it. I have a very good short term memory so when I revised I forgot everything I revised a while ago.

Don’t sweat not remembering stuff, especially things like officer ranks, comes with time and interacting with them! If I was doing the interview, the main thing would be showing that you’ve tried rather than getting it all perfect (although if you do get it all perfectly, it makes life easier!).

You’ll probably go through life doing exams at some point or another and no-one expect you to remember everything at once (and if they do, they’re showing their naivety).

1 Like

During the assessment it isn’t 100% theory based. So if you boss the practical leadership stuff and drill you’ll be able to bring yourself up and balance out your lack of knowledge on officers.

1 Like

Yeah that makes sense. I’m usually better at practical things more than theory in no matter what it is. I take drill sometimes and I quite enjoy it (apart from the last time I took a squad no one was in time and it went awful).

1 Like

With taking drill you just have to remember ICE and to project your voice. Also, there seems to be a lot of differing opinions on what words to use in commands, so if unsure always ask the guy assessing you before you do it.

1 Like