NATO Dinner Cardiff Castle

The cadets who lined the route for the VIPs did the corps proud!

Did they get any leftovers?

This might be off topic, but does the PM get a Salute?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes, much like a mayor does.

it is done so out of respect of their position, much like the saluting of a foreign leader is not a Salute to the Queen, but as respect for the position/Office the person holds

yes, much like a mayor does.

it is done so out of respect of their position, much like the saluting of a foreign leader is not a Salute to the Queen, but as respect for the position/Office the person holds[/quote]

Interesting as I was informed that you don’t salute a mayor as they are a policial appointee by the other council members not the soverign (unless that was your point!).

However wouldn’t the PM be saluted as a member of HM Privy Council (& ergo a soverign appointment) rather than a political one. Also unlike American presidents, I don’t remember any PM (apart from Churchill although he held a commission) being pictured returning the salute.

Regardless fantastic experience for the cadets who will be telling their grand children and recounting the story in 50 years time at Sqn Dinners! :slight_smile:

Interesting, there is a quote in a book I am reading about John Major as PM in the gulf. The MoD issued him instructions on how, as a civilian, to return a salute. Apparently it was a cross between a hitler raise of the hand and the queens wave. He states he ignored the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Relating to saluting protocols, or in general?

Its nice to see that Mr Obama was acknowledging and speaking to some of the cadets as he passed them.

[quote=“MRAR” post=20725]The cadets who lined the route for the VIPs did the corps proud!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-29068518[/quote]
What’s the betting someone will overlook the positive etc and pick up on some piddling issue of uniform and or protocol.

No one has so far but there have been a few grumblings that more squadrons weren’t involved.

I was wondering why, if we had air cadets and sea cadets there, did we not apparently have army cadets there too.

[quote=“MRAR” post=20768]No one has so far but there have been a few grumblings that more squadrons weren’t involved.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/nato-summit-2014-barack-obama-7729550[/quote]

Even if there are grumbles within 1WW, it’s a refreshing change to see an event of national significance that for once isn’t the sole preserve of London Wing.

:mad:

Cadet quote of 2014 goes to…

“We were told where we would be standing but we only had about 10 minutes to practice so it was very nerve-wracking.”

How long was she hoping she’d have to practice “standing there in a smart and cadet like manner”? Although, I must say, they did very well at standing there in a smart and cadet like manner. I’m not sure that 20 or even 30minutes of practicing would’ve improved the smartness or cadet like manners! :slight_smile:

You can never practice standing still for long enough! No, no ACF for whatever reason apparently they had their own event at the Celtic Manor and the SCC were only invited at the last minute, gutting for those of us who didn’t get to go from the ATC squadrons!