National Flagship

Or some tracked IFVs to support them. Oh, wait

1 Like

Confirmed today the MOD is paying for it despite it being a trade ship and not a warship and despite it having a ÂŁ16bn black hole to plug.

Easy
Hawk T Mk1 OoS early
Close whichever airfield has just had a runway resurface
Get rid of the Marines
3 Week shutdown for Xmas (like we did in early 90s)

That should cover a nice floating gin palace - or we could commandeer one of Romans fleet
thats-funny

Given the MOD’s success in terms of projects, this move means it will never happen or be so far over budget to be in another galaxy. It would be better for the build to be run and managed by people who know what they are doing and keep MOD seat warmers out of the picture.

Having said that, now we are free of the shackles of the eu it will pay for itself many times over in terms of trade deals etc.

The reasons it has gone to the MOD as I understand it is:

1. The Secretary of State for Defence has responsibility for the UK shipbuilding strategy.
  2. If it’s a ‘warship’ it doesn’t have to go to international tender under WTO rules so they can almost guarantee it’ll be built in the UK.

They are playing with fire on this….

They have also announced it will be a trade ship also they intend the built to include new green designs and new method/ technologies all funded by the government and to help further shipbuilding expertise.

I would not be surprised if some of the big shipyards out there challenges this decision to declare it a warship in court

If it’s going to have a RN crew and a White Ensign surely that makes it military from a legal standpoint?

1 Like

I don’t know

Saying it’s a warship then a trade ship is opening yourself to all sorts of
Questions

It reminds me of that show Hyperdrive, where Nick Frost goes across the galaxy trying to do trade deals on behalf of the UK, with generally poor results.

( Hyperdrive (British TV series) - Wikipedia)

Correct.
We dont want foreign peoples designing the ship our Monarch and Head of state will be on, running the Country with the Privy Council, from a deep water Loch, after London has been turned to glass.

That and can you imagine if the foreign press knew what colour Lizs toilet tiles were…

Stick a mounting point for a GPMG on each Bridge Wing and job done.

That’s just a weekend dinghy for the lake in the US is it not??