Multi coloured unit identifiers?

Clearly a deliberate attempt by an OC who is fed up of waiting for badges to make a scene to force the discussion about badges to be had. The fact that it has been put on social media makes that even more evident.

5 Likes

Surely one would look at the image in ap1358c and make the assumption the badges i order need to look exactly like that just with a different Sqn no?

Am i being to oblivious to how people really think and make decisions?

I assume either the oc is either making a point as already mentioned or has the attitude of its their sqn and they will do what they so wish?

Probably a combination of ā€œwell the book isnā€™t clearā€ plus ā€œIf Iā€™ve got to buy my own Iā€™ll do what I wantā€ and ā€œIā€™ll show themā€.

Canā€™t say i donā€™t sympathise with all 3 points of view to be honest.

2 Likes

I think the issue is that now we are expected to pay for them.

There are no regs concerning the colour of sqn T-shirts, hoodies, or sports kits - because they are paid for privately. Why should the ID badges be any different?

Ergo The Sqn pays for them = The Sqn gets to say what colours are used.

Itā€™s not something I would do, but I sympathise with that viewpoint.

2 Likes

Iā€™m firmly in the ā€œthere are much bigger things to worry about, get a lifeā€ camp on this.

Not yet; because they havenā€™t issued the directive yet :wink:. But itā€™s comingā€¦,

1 Like

Getting back to the money aspectā€¦
Will Sqns get some additional funding for buying these badges in the training grant I wonder

If not mine will be multi coloured

2 Likes

@incubus :smirk:

1 Like

Iā€™m sure itā€™s acceptable if itā€™s in MTP.

2 Likes

As @romeo_bravo says, itā€™s coming. It will be adopted from the RAFā€™s branding policy (a cracking read!).

The RWO, poor soul, is getting himself confused between regulation and specification, not the same really.
Is there a specification for the badges, ie size, colours, typeface. I fancy yellow background, royal blue border and red numbers.

I think they look OK.
Good on OC1475 for raising the problem, itā€™s made someone sit up and take notice, but I expect heā€™s getting a visit from the regional attitude adjustment team and several emails. It would be a laugh if heā€™d put something on the value volunteers thing and nothing was said.

The fact the RC has made a point of typing something and the acolytes jumping onboard, exemplifies the sad state of the ATC today. This should have been a phone call or email, not on SM.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve already asked this question of my WExO and it was a firm ā€œNo, the Squadron pays!ā€

Weā€™ve not seen any of the new FA badges despite asking repeatedlyā€¦

What and the ā€˜normalā€™ ones donā€™t?

So from which budget or is the Civ Com expected to cough up the money for something that is uniform requirement.

No. It could be the images but the ā€˜14ā€™ and the ā€˜75ā€™ are not even the same size.

I think the Sqn OC was very aware that he would be pushing the limits by doing this. There is no way he genuinely believed it would go unchallenged.
Sqns have to purchase their own badges now, yes, however that doesnā€™t mean you should make yourself look stupid in the process.

The big camps mean that CAC & Co donā€™t have to trawl all over the country to get a selfie with standard camps or cadets getting a mandatory badge.
I have to admit I donā€™t see the value in the big camps as there arenā€™t enough of them.
I did see some photos of a stem camp and they had what looked like large plastic meccano, not sure if thatā€™s ours or not, but why arenā€™t squadrons being given this? I bet that wasnā€™t cheap to buy.

if people didnā€™t push boundaries nothing would change. Weā€™d all still be hunter gatherers.

I like his style, itā€™s just sad the system will batter him into submission, by people full of their own and self-importance and who knows, he could leave the ATC over it.

1 Like

One manā€™s stupid is another personā€™s design masterpiece. The colours are a little subjective, but you presume they relate to the colours the sqn has adopted. Nothing wrong with that. Bit more about unit identity.

My only counter argument is that, if this is essentially about the fact that units pay for the badges themselves, then going for two colours surely just increases costs?

I was told that the Squadron had to pay for them, so ultimately the Civ Comm!