MTP Waterproofs

Could someone kindly link me to the correct (issue) type MTP waterproofs?

Thanks

Why?

Does it have to be MTP?

Lightweight or heavyweight? (Lightweight are gash).

Unless you’re a road marcher.

RIAT

Preferably. I’d hate to mismatch.

Not sure. What’s the difference (and don’t say the weight :wink:)

What’s wrong with them? They’re great for 90% of the things you want to do in waterproofs, although I can imagine that they’re not quite as good if you want to do vast amounts of leopard-crawling in them.

Also I’m at Cranwell next week - is it possible to scrounge stuff like this or do I have to bite the bullet and pay ripoff prices :thinking:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Military-Army-MTP-Lightweight-goretex-Jacket-waterproof-/322543737131

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Military-Army-MTP-Lightweight-Waterproof-MVP-Over-Trouser-Goretex-/32262868651

Quick eBay search brought up these. If you go for the lightweight Stuff, get one size larger than you normally would, as it tends to be a bit small.

Lightweight is quite thin and as the name suggests, lighter. It’s good for areas where it could be raining but warm at the same time, E.g. Nijmegen. The drawback is the complete lack of useful pockets.

I’ve not used the heavyweight waterproof, but they seem larger and with decent provision for pockets. Either way, look for grade 1 stuff on eBay. It’s much cheaper than buying new, and you may end up with a cool freebie like the royal signals cpl rank slide that was left on the jacket I bought.

Lightweight is fine for most stuff, I wouldn’t want to take it on an exercise but for most stuff it’s fine, I wouldn’t necessarily bother with trousers though.

Thanks everyone :slight_smile:

Heavyweight is great for range days etc (it is better than my much costlier civvi waterproofs). But I have a lightweight for in my day sack. Cost a tenner at an air show.

Sadly you wont get anything out of stores at Cranwell unless you’re entitled.

Ones light weight and not as good. Ones heavy weight and has pockets.

My lightweights never left my locker. They are barely waterproof, don’t have pockets, and you are banned from using them on any mountain training packages, or indeed any arduous terrain.

The only reason they got bought and issued is because some officer probably has shares in the company.

I would have said the other way round, as when you inevitably get wet with the lightweight ones, you can dry off easily after ranges.

Cheers everyone

Lightweigthts in day sack for just in case, at a push I can squeeze the jacket in my belt kit.

Heavyweight = pockets = Hariboes

If you’re using them in a sustained way - like all day in really, really crap weather - then try and lay your hands on the CS95 MTP ones (the zip goes up to the knee on the trousers, and the jacket has two chest pockets and a fixed hood), they are a thicker, more resilient fabric, but they are less comfortable in warmer, more humid conditions or when you’re working hard physically unless it’s pretty cold (winter, effectively).

The newer, thinner, PCS ones are (effectively) Gore-tex Paclite - they pack down much smaller, they are more breathable, but unless you only wear them to stand around on a range, they are aren’t going to last you years on end.

In my sector the standard practice is to have a pair of the newer, paclite trousers and the older jacket with the chest pockets and hood - the new jacket isn’t popular because of its sizing, the lack of a hood, and that it wears through quite quickly under a rucksack or belt-kit.

Of course, Officers should wear a Barbour.

3 Likes

No, no, no!!! For proper sustained wet work (and range work) you want the goretex MVP salopettes!! But you need a friendly recce mech to acquire them (as they were the only people who seemed to have them!). Toasty warm, super dry and bombproof. Maybe overkill for cadet work - but great for knocking about the farm on!!

2 Likes

Makes them worthwhile then - I’ll see if I can get some

1 Like

Hmm… Might see what I can steal.

I mostly use the horrid Helly Hansen salopettes - not fabulously breathable, but fairly hard wearing and at least waterproof. I’ve got a nice set of Snugpak salopettes to go under them when I’m on the quad-bike in the winter.

Flexothane stuff is in the pot as well.

The sheep just like chewing my trousers, so nice stuff seems a bit of a waste…

Still not found any for a reasonable price… any recommendations for a place to get them online? Probably not been looking in the right places