Move to @rafac.mod.gov.uk domain name

As you may already be aware, the IBN published yesterday details some pretty significant changes coming to Bader. This will affect how all CFAV/Perm Staff users login to the system, in particular O365, from the 17th August .

Essentially, you will no longer be using the @aircadets.org domain to login to Bader Office 365 applications (email, sharepoint, forms, teams) but switching over to using the new domain @rafac.mod.gov.uk. Strongly suggest that you read the IBN that has been issued and the SharePoint article.

We also have a poster explaining what is happening and why available here which is linked to the SharePoint article.

Specific comms on the change to Cadet Portal usernames (which will also adopt the new domain on 24th August) will commence in earnest on 10 Aug. In the meantime, a poster for cadets which you can use to raise awareness of the upcoming change is also available here.

Your emails will no longer have @aircadets.org in them but any emails sent to @aircadets.org will forward to the correct people automatically - so no impact on vehicle livery, gizzits (leaflets/flyers), tents, banners and all of that. If someone does email you using @aircadets.org, when you reply, they will see oc.1234@rafac.mod.gov.uk from 17 Aug onwards.

Any questions, ask away - but please read the materials before you open fire!

1 Like

Only question I am to have is will permanent staff who already have @mod etc emails be moving over to @rafac.mod etc?
Quick edit, for example a wexo who is currently joe.bloggs@mod.gov.uk, will they go to joe.bloggs@rafac.mod.gov.uk

I see the benefits of this move and it’s seems a good change overall for dealing with the wider RAF, MOD and other government departments. From the IBN, I assume we will lose the ability to send from the .org address.

My only concern is that for potential recruits and parents the address is much less memorable or descriptive of what we do.

123@aircadets.org does what it says, 123@rafac.mod.gov.uk is a jumble of letters if you don’t know what they mean. After the transition period, I’d like to see each Sqn being able to use their aircadets.org address as a public facing contact still. Is that possible?

1 Like

Their MOD email address should remain completely unchanged, since it’s nothing to do with us.
But wexo’s also have a bader address - wexo.blah@aircadets.org (though many don’t seem to use them) which will change.

But given al these Doc’s and the IBN refers to ‘permanent staff’ too, I can see some potential confusion. Especially as a lot of the HQAC staff are referred to by their @mod.gov.uk email. It should be changed to if you work in the RAFAC, you have an @rafac.mod.gov.uk email!

They will continue to have both.

I understand, but over time, the @aircadets.org will be phased out completely (eventually) and we are an MOD organisation and having associated email addresses is just part of that.

Again, they all have access to both - and that is necessary.

2 Likes

Cheers for the reply. :blush:

Does this mean also one step closer to all CFAV having their own emails, along with Admin Portal?

although lets be realistic, how many parents actually use email, rather than facebook messenger to the squadron page or direct to a cfav, or via a contact form on the squadton website.

2 Likes

Our potential recruits are mainly email or phone enquiries and parents of current cadets usually email, if they don’t phone or come to the Sqn. Each unit is different though.

rafac.mod.gov.uk certainly emphasises that we’re part of the MOD. Whether that’s a good thing for us as a youth organisation may be for another thread.

certainly in the last two years I cannot think of an occasion a parent has emailed me first (ie not in reply to my email) yet can think of two occasions when parents have used FB Messenge feature

Regular contact from parents though doesn’t require them to know the email address.
Once they’ve sent to it the once it’ll be in the email cache. Then they just need to remember that it’s something vaguely to do with RAFAC, or start typing “1234 sqn” and it’ll autofill.
In fact I tend to find that most parents dig out any old email I’ve sent and reply to that instead of creating a new email.

One step closer is correct :wink:

Works pretty well for the largest cadet force in the UK :wink:

Will oc.xxxx@bader.mod.uk still work too?

1 Like

Yes …and other words

All Bader users should have received a reminder email for the domain name change today. We have also posted SPOL articles and something will be going onto the Bader Landing Site shortly.

The changeover will take place on Mon 17 Aug :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Edited: Ignore previous, I’m blind.

armycadets.com? :thinking:

They use @armymail.mod.gov.uk for email I believe

1 Like

Correct :+1:

armycadets.com is just their public facing website.

Old school