Move of 5 and 7 AEFs

Announced today that 5 AEF will be moving from RAF Wyton and 7 AEF from RAF Cranwell, both to RAF Wittering.

Internal Briefing Note No. 10/13 states -

Due to the significant running costs associated with maintenance of an operational airfield at RAF Wyton, it has been decided to relocate the flying units based there: No 57® Squadron who undertake Elementary Flying Training (EFT), Cambridge and London University Air Squadrons (UAS) and No. 5 Air Experience Flight (AEF). The opportunity has been taken to rationalise other light aircraft flying tasks in the region to achieve a more coherent division. As a result moves are also planned for East Midlands Universities Air Squadron and No 115® Squadron who are currently based at RAF Cranwell to relocate to RAF Wittering. It is planned to concentrate UAS and AEF flying at RAF Wittering, with EFT conducted at RAF Cranwell, rather than a mix of both at each station. This will provide more efficient use of manpower and assets and deliver better value for money for the taxpayer. By the Summer of 2013, No 57® Squadron will relocate from RAF Wyton to RAF Cranwell. Relocation of units to RAF Wittering is planned by mid 2014 once preparatory work has been completed.

In addition to this, 9AEF (currently based at RAF Church Fenton) will be moving to RAF Linton-On-Ouse along with Yorkshire UAS. Church Fenton will close December 2013 with ongoing discussions towards the movement of both units to Linton.

According to the document, and rumour, the decision has yet to be made:

Linton would seem logical geographically, but would surely cause issues with dissimilar types in the circuit (with potential for both doing lots of circuit work).

Relocation of YUAS alongside NUAS at Leeming would make more sense IMHO. Tutor and UAS/AEF set up already there, and just as easy for most students to get to, +/- 10 or 15 minutes. Hawks about, but generally going in and out swiftly, and probably not long term either.

Not sure why the document is saying that, certainly haven’t heard any rumour either.

It may be because work is still in the pipeline, but a hangar has been put aside at Linton, along with a Sqn building. There have been various liaison visits by the Sqn staff and it all seems pretty set in stone.

Great, that’s even more time being spent sat on the coach to go flying then!!

didnt think we used those aef’s?

Sqn’s my end of the wing use 5 AEF.

everyday a school day, thought we only used benson and boscombe

[quote=“Stand Out” post=5416]Not sure why the document is saying that, certainly haven’t heard any rumour either. We’ve been definitively told that we are absolutely going to Linton.

It may be because work is still in the pipeline, but a hangar has been put aside at Linton, along with a Sqn building for us to mooch around in. There have been various liaison visits by our Sqn staff and it all seems pretty set in stone.[/quote]

Interesting. I wonder if someone’s had a bright idea then.

To me, having NUAS and YUAS at Leeming and Linton respectively seems a little silly. If they are going to be 25-30 mins away by road (a daily commute I used to do to Leeming from Linton), and the “Tutor” (LAFT) estate is being rationalised, why not co-locate them as with ULAS/CUAS(EMUAS) and MASUAS/LUAS.

If, as you say, the estate at Linton has been set aside, I wonder if the “spanner” (if there is one) is from a non-budgetary/estates source?

Not sure, I’ll keep you posted though!

This article from yesterday says that Church Fenton will be closed by the end of the year, in case there was still any doubt about that.

This must lead to a reallocation of resources- as has been said- it is a long day out from the South to Wittering, it would make sense if you could go and make a weekend out of it, some shooting and the use of some Flight Sims etc…

With a bit of forward planning you could. Witterng has a functing range and high ropes course, not sure about any flight sims though doubtful there.

I’d guess that from the south it’ll be maybe an extra 20 mins to Wittering over Wyton.

TBH if you are coming up from the south, via A14, its about 25-30 mins extra driving from Wyton; if via A1, can’t be much further timewise due to the cross-country jaunt from A1.

As for Flt Sims, who actually uses the RAC at Wyton??? Not many I would bet.

There is shooting at Wittering, that’s if range is not being used by S&E Mids, Trent, Beds & Cambs Wings.

You could have a look around the Harrier Museum at Wittering :whistle:

[quote=“romeo bravo” post=5405]Announced today that 5 AEF will be moving from RAF Wyton and 7 AEF from RAF Cranwell, both to RAF Wittering…

…As a result moves are also planned for East Midlands Universities Air Squadron and No 115® Squadron who are currently based at RAF Cranwell to relocate to RAF Wittering. It is planned to concentrate UAS and AEF flying at RAF Wittering, with EFT conducted at RAF Cranwell, rather than a mix of both at each station. [/quote]

Interesting to note although it mentions concentrating AEF flying at Wittering, it doesn’t mention specifically that 7AEF will move from Cranwell; I’ve heard rumour that this is undecided. 7AEF may well actually benefit from remaining at Cranwell, although there would obviously be a change of policy as it would be a Flt of either 16 or 57 Sqn, not a UAS as they currently are. Sense would say AEF capacity would be better should it remain in situ.

[quote=“chaz” post=5465][quote=“romeo bravo” post=5405]Announced today that 5 AEF will be moving from RAF Wyton and 7 AEF from RAF Cranwell, both to RAF Wittering…

…As a result moves are also planned for East Midlands Universities Air Squadron and No 115(R) Squadron who are currently based at RAF Cranwell to relocate to RAF Wittering. It is planned to concentrate UAS and AEF flying at RAF Wittering, with EFT conducted at RAF Cranwell, rather than a mix of both at each station. [/quote]

Interesting to note although it mentions concentrating AEF flying at Wittering, it doesn’t mention specifically that 7AEF will move from Cranwell; I’ve heard rumour that this is undecided. 7AEF may well actually benefit from remaining at Cranwell, although there would obviously be a change of policy as it would be a Flt of either 16 or 57 Sqn, not a UAS as they currently are. Sense would say AEF capacity would be better should it remain in situ.[/quote]
Gotta love RUMINT! Never mind the pretty clear statement. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“papa november” post=5467]
Gotta love RUMINT! Never mind the pretty clear statement. :P[/quote]

The pretty clear statement only specifically mentions 5 AEF. :wink:

[quote=“romeo bravo” post=5460]
TBH if you are coming up from the south, via A14, its about 25-30 mins extra driving from Wyton; [/quote]

It’s more the fact it’s already a 3+ hour journey. I can still live in hope of there being an AEF in the south east!

Sadly an unsatisfactory situation that’s existed really since the demise of the Chipmunk and closure of the Manston AEF (1AEF?) in 1996.