Minority govt

I don’t really think the problems today are quite as they were in the 40s when rationing was in full swing.

TBPH when I was growing up during the 60s and 70s, I don’t ever recall any of my mates being undernourished and we weren’t what you would call well off by any stretch.

A couple of people I know who work for the probation service and social services, say that people get enough money through work and top up benefits, it’s just they way they spend it. They’ve said just getting parents to cut down drinking, smoking and for some drug habits, gives them more than enough money. But getting them to do these things is the hard bit.

The bulging and expansive benefits system is in place. What if Miss Pollard wants to spent it on lager, fags and crack?
And it’s weekly so there’s no concept of budgeting.

People either don’t know or don’t care.

Maybe if we spend less money on foreign aid we can spend it to help the impoverished and homeless in our own country. Instead of throwing it at a country with a huge rich poor divide and a bloody space programme.

The people I know say they spend a lot of time working on budgeting. But it is uphill and when it works they say you see an improvement in the people concerned.

Tbf, if you’re Scottish, Welsh or even just in the North of England this is very much the status quo.

No it’s not. As proven by the recent GE results.

Don’t fall for the SNP meme. Or their independence crap. They had a 56 seat voice in a democraticly
Voted government. And they want to trade it for a 7 MEP seat whisper in a huge constituency, for an unelected rich elite to wee on them and tell them it’s raining?
SNPs manifesto - “It’s all Westminster fault”

Devolved government - a shambles
Devolved NHS - a shambles
Devolved centralised ambulance service - a shambles
Devolved centralised Police Service - not just a shambles but an absolute cluster****
Devolved centralised Fire Service - see above. Not to mention the numerous near misses and deaths that have come from closing local control centres.
Devolved Education - absolute shambles
Devolved councils - shambles.
And they want centralised education funding?

The Scottish government can’t even wee with the willy they have got. And they want to try and tell the EU how it’s happening? And Using the public services as a political tool, at the expense of the tax payers lives.

AYE good one.

Not to mention the Scottish Brexit votes that’s swung it for the win.

WRT the EU every country has a minority voice as the EU parliament is designed so that no one country can have a politically strong presence. Even our major parties have to join groups made up of a plethora of similarly minded parties from other countries and as they don’t all have exactly the same political objectives, agreements on what each group gets for their country comes into play. Then when it comes to a vote all goes pear-shaped, not that vote means anything as the EU is run by unaccountable apparatchiks (a bit like the ATC), as they know getting 20+ disparate countries to agree on anything is impossible and any changes are cosmetic.

The EU appeals to small countries with little offer economically other than an ability to hoover funding, which the richer countries pay for. This point is the major reason the likes of Germany and France don’t want us to leave, as their budgetary commitment would increase, which would be difficult to justify with no gain.

1 Like

But what we pay now for two pints means that the farmers get a ridiculously small sum back for their efforts due to the profit snatchers before them. Have we forgotten the milk price crisis so quickly??? It wouldn’t surprise me… Not many people care about farmers now days.

I was referring to the milk

1 Like

Pfft milk. You don’t need it past infancy. And not from other species. You don’t take a stroll through the woods and see a squirrel suckling on a badgers teat.

I’m not saying it’s right for farmers, we can’t go into shops and say we want to pay another x pence for the farmers.

However I recall listening to the farming programme on R4 several years ago and they interviewed dairy farmers who had to dispose of, at huge expense due to the nature of the material, milk as they had produced over their quota. Quite how you make a cow only produce so much milk every day, is a mystery. They couldn’t sell it or use it for other things, as they would be prosecuted due to price protection policies. Similarly fishermen throwing away perfectly edible fish, because it is outside their quota. This is criminal and more criminal than what people actually get paid.

1 Like

The ability to digest milk past infancy kept the human race alive. The humans who were lactose intolerant through natural selection did not pass on their genes. They died out. The only human that survived are the ones that could digest milk as an adult or never developed past hunter gather groups.
There is not natural selection for being a tit though.

1 Like

I beg to disagree: http://www.darwinawards.com/

Except you know, the ones that are lactose intolerant today…

I would argue it was thumbs, long distance running, tools and cooking food that kept the human race alive.

I don’t know what the first guy who found out milk thinks he was doing.

Its more a cheese thing than a milk thing, it is the long tern storage of calories.

You put the milk in the stomach of an animal, the rennet in the lining of the stomach will act on the milk and hay presto you have the ability to store food for when the Woolley mammoth goes north for the winter. The people who threw up when they had eaten the cheese died and the people who could each cheese later invented the cracker, port and the Royal Navy

2 Likes

Off topic, but I’ve often wondered how we actually managed to develop lactose tolerance.

The milking bit makes sense (not too hard a logical leap that mammals make milk) but assuming that lactose tolerance was originally pretty rare how did it ever get past the stage of trying it and finding that it makes adults ill?

I recall watching a program on this:
if i remember correctly the stomach of a child (toddler) is designed for milk ie from the breast and is set up to deal with digesting it.
As we grow older the right “stuff” (enzymes?? I don’t know I am no biologist) disappears as we start to eat solids and “grown up food” thus removing our ability to eat diary products.

I seem to remember the programme indicates in Europe lactose intolerance is more common as they remove milk from the diet sooner in life while us Brits stick with milk (cereals etc) far later in life which encourages the right “stuff” to stick with us in our bellies.

In line with evolution not all mutations are positive, and so not everyone is able to hold on to the right “stuff” and so become lactose intolerant to the degree it makes them feel ill

ok i have found this

with further reading of this article https://mrheisenbug.wordpress.com/2014/08/24/the-truth-about-lactose-intolerance/

with a Food Unwrapped piece on what it is in milk which is intolerable

hope that helps!

2 Likes

It will be interesting to see what happens in the LD, now that Fallon has resigned as leader. If they put someone else in who is more for leaving the EU, puts a different complexion on potential voting in the house.

I do think the thing around Fallon is a dark day for politics and says more about the lack of tolerance in society than anything else, if you identify with a particular religious view.

I think they will take the easy option and go for Vince Cable in the expctation of another Election and that having a known big hitter could make a difference.

I think another referendum on leaving Europe will sort everything out. We will all know where we stand then. There can be three questions on the ballot paper, Hard Brexit, Soft brexit, and stay in. If the vote goes stay in we then we can go best of three and that will be final. Simples.

Bit unlikely when Corbyn is the most pro-brexit of the party leaders.