Method of instruction course

Can the cadet method of instruction course be taught at squadron without having to do one of the Wing courses?

1 Like

Great question, Iā€™d love to know the answer to this too. If it can be delivered in squadron, it would also be good to know if there are training materials available.

SC

Itā€™s done on squadron at my squadron.

CMOI/AMOI Instructors must be authorised by WHQ to deliver the training and assess candidates. To maintain a common standard this authority is usually delegated to selected Wing Staff Officers but it is possible for suitably qualified/experienced staff at Sqn level to be registered with the Wing Training Officer to deliver the training and assess courses.

MB

I am a CI at my squadron and delivered the MOI before Christmas.
Anyone with a background in teaching or instruction will find it easy, as it reflects the core skills that are needed there, like myself.

Chapter and verseā€¦ACTO 022

I found it WAS more effective to do it over a couple of evening sessions, as it allowed them to listen, reflect, discuss and practice.
To cram it in a single day is asking them to just sit and watch a presentation, which is the opposite of what the MOI is actually about.

Iā€™ve delivered this and the people have passed the assessment.

How on earth a Wg Cdr can be deemed to assess someoneā€™s competence to deliver / assess, unless they are professional trainers or qualified teachers (especially those who do lesson observations and critique of fellow teachers in school) is beyond me.

Teaching someone to use powerpoint effectively is more than a day. I did a series of courses on Word, Excel and Powerpoint when worked in industry, but to become proficient you need to use them regularly. I suppose I benefited from using Lotus 123 and Freelance prior to this. As such what they put in the MOI for powerpoint is useless, especially as now many use Office 365 and have updated versions which although basically the same are different. But you need to use them or you never really get away from the phobia. It amazes me when you show people how to make things appear/disappear/change colour/move on the page/change size and so on, the number that have said never knew how they did that.
We still have an OHP and until I find a better way to show basic compass work, with a map on acetate and compass on top, weā€™ll be keeping it, even though the CO wants it gone. How many people have one? There has been a move away from ā€œchalk and talkā€ and all of the ā€˜approvedā€™ materials on Ultilearn are PPT.
What I do cover is using word fills, diagrams with label(s) missed off, picture and word matching / references, crosswords and wordsearches as methods of testing and revision. Word fills seem to be used in school for ā€˜foundationā€™ level kids and get used in topic tests. Iā€™ve never been a fan of the pose/pause/pounce questioning, I just ask questions aor use the methods above. I also find ice breakers to be useless and pointless. I got bored with these after getting too many over excited trainers use them, rather than get on with what they were paid to do. The only ice breaker you should use is the name/rank/number type, quick and easy.

The biggest problem is people having the time and or inclination to do these things.
I use essentially the same lessons as I did 35 years ago for much of basic information hasnā€™t changed. Iā€™ve yet to see a different way to give a grid reference.

MOI is NOT teaching them how to create a Powerpoint, it is how to EFFECTIVELY use any form of delivery (depending on the matter being delivered), hence the use of the word ā€˜Methodsā€™.
PLAN a session with measurable and achievable objectives
ENGAGE with your audience (itā€™s not YOU telling them and them just watching)
CREATE useful learning and assessment aids
MANAGE the training environment.

In one of my sessions, I had a tent and asked one of the cadets to instruct the others in how to set one up. Absolutely no PPT involved, practical, with the other cadets and myself feeding back how we though the session went.
The result was an effective set of objectives I had set out were achieved, hardly any need for input from myself and the cadet was given effective feedback to do the job better the next time.
After all, thatā€™s what the training is supposed to do, make then effective (not perfect), instructors.

At some time you have to instruct on something that cannot be done as suggested.
In this day and age to ensure consistency of knowledge transfer you have to do this in a way that lends it to that. I used to have all of my lessons on acetate and have over the years made them electronic.
I do sessions like you mention and I will guarantee that I miss or add things.
Given what you need to get through sometimes engagement is limited and learning and assessment aids like I mention work quite well.
Managing the training environment was a laugh when I did my Staff P2, as it is a room and on squadrons you are limited to what you can do, which is not a lot outside of moving chairs and tables around and maybe opening a slit masquerading as a window. Blackboards and whiteboards are generally fixed to the wall.
Effectiveness is a moot point and comes down to how well the cadets retain and use the information.

I have attended MOI and it has been delivered during the weekend for about 7 hours. COs from 2 squadrons joined together so it could benefit cadets.