Meteorology practical tasks

Is anybody aware of any semi practical tasks that might be used to complement the meteorology section of ACP 32 (Initial Expedition Training)? Obviously with the map and compass section there are many practical tasks that can be done to bolster the lesson, but this is not do much the case with the weather section. I have some vague ideas about asking the Cadets to draw a detailed chart of a weather front to hang on the classroom wall, but nothing really beyond that. Any ideas welcome!

Not taught it for a long time, so can you give an overview of what the content covers?

It will also depend on how much you want to go into it and impart knowledge and understanding - vs getting them through the open book test!!!

As an example, building a weather vane or an anemometer could help understand wind - especially if calibrated using your Ford Focus driving down your local A road… BUT not sure if its wholly relevant here!!!

1 Like

I’m fairly familiar with the subject from when I was a Cadet some years ago, I’ve downloaded the ACP and I’ll be getting out to practice map and compass by myself. I’d like to make the subject enjoyable as well as thinking about the test. A weather vane is a good idea, thank you!

Have them look at the surface pressure charts and forecast the weather

Have them go outside and spot clouds

1 Like

Could work in the Summer, thanks.

I’ve used a number of the synoptic charts online.
I use BBC weather and the “pressure” option on the local forecast. As suggested get the cadets to say what they think the weather will be looking at this, then look at the forecast and for the following parade night, how close were they and the forecast. Keeping it local keeps it easy and relevant.
I do as well when going on a DofE and part of the exped planning talk wrt planning the things they need to take and to look at weather forecasts before they go.

If you need to do it at night, you could of course take photos in the day and project them indoors to achieve the same result

I would avoid the technical stuff of how and why weather works and does what it does - and move more towards what the weathers impacts will be on planned IET activity. Bring in maps alongside weather forecasts and discuss what will be experienced with regards “the weather” in terms of activity. Get them to identify areas of shelter, higher risk areas, throw in time of day, direction of travel, setting camp and all the other variables.

There is a very good Met Office presentation for youth organisations (their copyright so I won’t repost here). IIRC from one of your other posts you aren’t a million miles from their Exeter HQ so they might even be willing to visit and do a talk.
If not I have something I can send you over PM.