Messy brassards - revamp?

Frankly I’d rather they’d chosen to dump the L98 and keep the cadets shooting .22 target rifles which is a much better primer and they could have a go with fullbore at military or civilian ranges as it used to be.

At least some of the Project Grayburn runners and riders (including FN) include a .22 cadet version of the rifle in their offering.

1 Like

It’s a bit off-topic but…..

When the No8s were to be disposed of, I contacted the MOD sponsor, suggesting that their category of “wpns of war” should be changed to allow sales to private individuals. A lot of people would have paid say £1000 for an historical rifle. They could have used someone like Bonhams as an agent. Easy.

Then, put the monies raised into the pot to get a better cadet .22 rifle, such as Anschutz Youth or similar.

I also contacted the sponsor for the replacement rifle to try & make inputs to ensure accuracy & longevity of any replacement - including the option to buy higher quality rifles (but not so many as previous No8 holdings).

In both cases - heresy!!!

It would require a very large national-level sponsor to commit to new .22 rifles + associated ongoing servicing / maintenance costs. Then you have to consider range maintenance, etc.

1 Like

@Abacist and @MikeJenvey You may wish to read my post #68 on the Future of Shooting within in RAFAC thread. It’s not the rifles, its everything that goes along with it. Smallbore and fullbore TR is effectively dead; I know that the CCRS is fighting a rearguard action; and I think that air rifle is almost regarded as a distraction.

This isn’t a recent development, a few years ago I was involved in a British Shooting initiative to create links with the cadet forces. Other than the boarding school based elements it was met with a deafening silence.

exmpa

At the time, I replied a few posts later.

The cadet Smallbore meeting ought to combine with the NSRA Smallbore rifle meeting as both organisations numbers are in decline!.

RAFAC should adopt NSRA policies and qualifications for air rifle RCO’s and Club Instructors to simplify it. It’s currently overly bureaucratic and OTT generally.

Cadets should be able to get badges based on achieved groups and scores on proportional NSRA targets and using .22 target rifles.

1 Like

5 Likes

It’s MIA!

I’d say the original topic had run its course and the interesting topic we’d moved onto is now KIA.