Mess Membership

But that’s a bit of a false position as does the membership cover building, consumables and staff costs? I suspect not, which allows the messes regardless of how much they get used, these costs will be covered. Staff may be cut, but the messes aren’t having to actually employ them.
Where as I say open it to “paying customers” the extra income would benefit all users.

As I keep saying, all current users are benefited as it is - there is absolutely no need to open the doors to everyone.

I voted against having regular monthly Cpl’s nights because I didn’t want to dilute what little reward the award of 3 stripes brings these days.

As someone else mentioned, don’t forget that the mess is also someone’s home and I doubt they’d want all & sundry trapsing through their living room.

Ahem, just a quick correction for all of you:

*Wardroom.

Carry on :wink:

When I used to be a cadet, our whole summer camp we used the officers mess for dining. No problems at all and was perfect opportunity to speak to the station commander etc

1 Like

If you speak to the army, this is what they think of the whole RAF. When you think about it, the only RAF personal who are proper, life threatening front line are Tornado/Typhoon crew, Chinook crew and RAF Regiment, everyone else is support and they live in locations miles from the Battle lines.
As said earlier, who knows what role CFAVs have done before or do now that are just as dangerous, so don’t spread assumptions!!

and all those at Kandahar AFB when the Taliban decide to mortar it.

1 Like

Exactly my point about sweeping generalisations!
But still a minority in the RAF!

The discussion is about “Mess memberships”…

2 Likes

Will get back on track…
If the Mess needs members to survive, their rules allow for RAFAC members to join and that assists in that survival, then what’s the problem?

If you write to the Mess PMC and ask for permission to join, as long as you pay any subs etc, I can’t see the issue.

1 Like

The mess at Northolt probably has as many RAFAC members as it has regulars.