Medical Support Officers

As noted here, there now appears to be role accounts for MSOs at wing and region level. I know the national role was recently advertised - has anyone heard anything more locally? Anyone know if anyone’s been appointed yet?

There is a doc in at HQ I believe, no idea on the Wg and Rgn roles.

If they are similar to the ACF ones, it is a different job to First Aid Training Officers. MSOs are more concerned the medical welfare of cadets and cfavs, mostly on camps, whereas First Aid Training officers assist with the delivery of first aid training.

1 Like

Nothing heard locally

That said, in response to the OP’s question: yes please consider joining, have a look at your local Squadron. There‘loll be plenty you can do to help right away and if the medical roles happen, then put your hat in the ring.

More pressures on CFAVs, squadrons and Wing to fill a post that has been happening for years :man_shrugging:t2:

Maybe now there will be some guidance on what HCP’s can do when in a RAFAC Capacity. Paramedics in the ACF can work to a paramedic scope with the ACF, I’m yet to find anything to say wether or not I can with RAFAC

1 Like

I agree, we needed one at HQ but we don’t need them lower down.

Who defines the scope of practice, provides equipment, clinical governance, medical oversight, drug prescribing sign off and ordering of drugs, and lastly the most important indemnity insurance?

Not 100% sure how the ACF do it, I just know it happens. Would be interesting to find out the processes they have in place

2 Likes

Exactly. No need to reinvent the wheel or make problems that don’t exist if someone else is already doing it.

1 Like

That is the DS answer, not the HQ RAFAC answer.

Having just came across there HQ Medical support twitter it seems not only do they do it, they do it well.

Will be interesting to see where this goes. They advertised the national MSO vacancy in a weekly brief then never announced who got the role or anything about what will happen with it going forward. It appears wing MSO’s have started to be appointed aswell, never seen any applications or anything in my wing. Have people just been placed in the role? Have we selected the right people for the job?

And get people who are nationally recognised and was awarded an MBE for his 12 years service.

And, ask why the ACF have a 2* officer in command?