Medical bar - when to reapply

Hello all,

Long story short: currently waiting out a medical bar so that I can apply to re-join (regular officer this time). The letter I got in response to my appeal last time told me that the bar would expire in ‘May 2016’.

Does anybody know if that means I can put my paperwork in on 1st May or the 1st June?

Cheers,

Tango

Id be looking at the refusal letter, not the appeal response. Failure to lay your hands on it, I’d go for 1st June to be safe and not waste anyone’s time.

Instead of asking on here where most people are guessing go to the AFCO and speak to them.
If you go and keep in touch with them they will help and it will reinforce the point of you wanting to join and willing to put the effort in.

Thanks for the responses.

Original letter says nothing, it’s only the one responding to my appeal that mentions May 2016.

I am inclined to agree though, as I was discharged to my GP mid may. Just keen to get the ball rolling again ASAP.

Posting here as there is a chance someone passing by will have been in the same situation.

It’s not clear from your original information - apply to re-join - ACO or RAF? I would guess that as this is the ACO Forum, you mean the ACO, but better not to guess! :wink:

Either way, the authority that issued your appeal letter would probably be the best place to start - with no finite DAY specified, it could be 01 May or 31 May - or anywhere in between. Did it list a calendar period such as xx months? if so, then xx months from the effective date of the letter.

The only thing that I could suggest if this relates to the ACO is to check on an pre-submission “delay” that could be anticipated & take that into account when applying.

I was subject to such a bar due to operation. I would start engaging with the AFCO before May. All the initial work can start before then, its just the formal stages that cannot start until the bar is lifted.

When they say May, they mean 1 May 16. Its something the Military always do, if they state a date, its the point of it happening.

Thanks Flago! I knew someone with a similar problem would be along sooner or later. I shall make some phone calls in the new year and hopefully be able to get as much of the groundwork done as possible.

Sorry for any confusion anyone else, I am talking about rejoining the Air Force as a regular officer having been an auggie airman until family drama and a bout of poor health put a stop to that. I only found out I was ‘medically unfit’ when I tried to rejoin the RAuxAF last year!