Martial Arts

Afternoon All,

I’ve been posed a question I must admit I’ve never looked into before, so calling on the ACC hive mind for advice.

I’ve had a member of staff offer to run martial arts taster sessions for cadets on a squadron night. The offer would be to do some basic self defence or low level “beginer” training in a martial arts style. The member of staff is an experienced instructor, a club member and is insured.

I’ve checked the ACPEDTI andf it says any sport that has an NGB and syllabus and is included in the indemnity scheme is ok to do.
Checking the indemnity list, martial arts is on there, but is a bit contradictory…or at least confusing and open to interpretation…

“Non-contact and unarmed only. This includes Self Defence” is what ACP300 says.

Now I’m taking that to mean kids can’t hit each other. Sensible enough.
Unarmed only…yes ok, got that.
But then it says “This includes self defence.” This is where I’m confused.
Does it mean that self defence is included as a martial art? Or does it mean that unarmed and non contact includes self defence too?

When teaching self defence, how can you do this with complete non-contact?
Surely you have to teach someone to block an incoming attack for example, which means someone has to attempt to hit someone else to be sucessfully blocked etc…?
I’ve done a few basic intro lessons myself in the past and whilst they don’t involve whalloping 7 shades out of each other, they do include some very light contact. (Nothing that would bruise).

Therefore I suppose the crux of what I’m asking is:

1. Is martial arts a viable activity to run for cadets as a couple of one off sessions,

and

1. Does non-contact mean all they can do is wave their limbs around in the air, or can they at least do light blocking exercises against another cadet?

yes

i read this as to mean, the student isn’t taught how to hit/attack someone (ie strictly self-defence) and not kick-boxing/Taekwondo style martial arts

A bit of digging around could indicate that the likes of a Judo throw (in self-defence) is “contact” as the “assailant” is thrown over the hip/leg/shoulder and “contacts” the ground (falls).

Would this be covered by a Wg Sports officer reponsibility?

Yeah, that was my line of thinking, so long as it’s self defence and not straight out attacking, and contact isn’t really made as a rule then it’s worth doing.

That’s how I read it and I know units round here that have done similar with no issues.