Management Tasks

Hello, as a Sqn we are looking for some Management tasks we can do on Sqn with all the cadets. the sort of this we are looking for is something progressive, where we can have an SNCO Managing a set of tasks (2-3 different task to achieve the same goal) and the JNCOs Leading these task.

I know this is a little unique but it fits in with the progressive training for our cadet and NCOs.

Something must be lost in translation here because all I’m seeing is a standard squadron parade night…?

3 Likes

I think if I’ve got the wrong end of the stick then it’s a bit more like asking for in-depth leadership tasks.

E.G:
Mission - to overthrow WHQ
Team 1 - subterfuge
Team 2 - sabotage
Team 3 - chaos

Then have JNCO leading Teams 1, 2 and 3 plus SNCO in command of the overall mission.

I’m sure someone has a sexier example but why use many words when few do trick?

Sure, but that’s over a long length of time and not ideal for learning / coaching. From my read of OP it sounds more like they want a blue/bronze leadership task that’s actually a management task.

Not that unique, we’ve done similar in the past. What we’ve tended to do is take the leadership tasks in blue or bronze and have them result in a clue of some form, and together, 3 or 4 tasks add up to a clue or hint towards a final task. Each of the smaller ones designed for a team of 2-4, with the big end one designed for 8-16 people. Only one leader allocated, and see how they cope with them all and a time limit.

You can then vary the tasks and scales to suit your unit and the numbers available.

Honestly, at Sqn scale, one of the easiest things to do is a set of normal, but less common, concurrent activities.

Could be

1. Cleaning - vacuum/mop/sweep all floor, full clean of whiteboards, dusting shelves, etc
  2. I.T. - Function test and run updates on all equipment, clean monitors and keyboards
  3. Displays - update and redesign notice boards, remove ood items, add replacements, propose new, etc
  4. HSEP - conduct checks, report new hazards

…

But I don’t think that meets the “progressive” element OP asks unless you’re really convoluted about it and probably over multiple nights for the time required.

A phased mission style set of activities where each task is a precursor step to the next can be tricky.

@GrandMaster_Flush’s method is functional, but if you’re aiming for immersion in an overall scenario it can seem disjointed if you don’t select and tailor activities appropriately.

Let’s say a 3-task round robin for a total of 3 groups:

Task 1, Group 1 Objective: Create a map from an informant’s description, that will get you access to a secret weapons facility and lead you to some prototype blueprints.

Task 2, Group 1, 2 Objective: You must use this map to avoid detection (consider guard patrols/sentries, and fake cameras) and locate the blueprints.

Task 3, Group 1, 2, 3 Objective: You must decode the security system to gain access to the blueprints

Task 1, Group 2, 3 Objective: Create a map from an informant’s description, that will provide your escape route

Task 2, Group 3, Objective: Use this map to make your escape.

The SNCO management aspect of something like that would probably need to be acting as HQ via radio (different channel for each team), shuffling the teams around to different locations at the appropriate times (trying to keep them apart) and getting/giving mission updates.

The hole here is that if you do it as a concurrent round robin as described then Group 2 needs a ready-made map to complete their first task. For fairness then, you need to consider swapping out Group 1’s map for the same when they start Task 2.

It would be easier to manage and get around the above if all groups start on task 1, they can all attempt task 2 with their own (probably poor quality) maps. This method though needs the equivalent time of 5 tasks to be available for all groups to complete 3; you also need to entertain groups at the start and end that aren’t on a task.

I don’t know about sexier, but I think that’s a more wordy version of what you were thinking? Although, yours are separate activities that link into the whole, whereas mine is a progression that each team goes through so all get the same experience.