Loyal Toast for a squadron dinner

I have been asked to be a Vice President at my squadron dinner. I am aware that I have to do a loyal toast but I have no idea what this is and what is said.

Please could you give me an idea?

When summoned by whoever is master of ceremonies, stand up and say “Ladies and gentlemen, The King”

Everyone else should then stand up and say “The King”, hold up their glass/charge and take a sip.

Then sit down again.

The Vice is also responsibile for the social entertainment for the evening and generally up to vice what they choose to do.

1 Like

In Lancashire the toast is or will be ‘The King, The Duke of Lancaster’.

Mister Vice is instructed when to rise for the loyal toast. Mister Vice also when the Mess President (PMC) retires with guests to another room or bar for first crack at the post dinner drinks, Mr Vice and a selected group or cronies move the places where the PMC and guests seated and demolish the Port/Madiera.

1 Like

My old unit had a navy section. Our toast was “The Queen and all who still within her” to which the response was 'Philip". I’m pretty sure that was wrong though

2 Likes

Rather than ‘Philip’ it was the Lord High Admiral?

1 Like

Although, for a Squadron dinner, and where the Vice is a cadet, that may very well not be a required part of the job.
Most Sqn dinners I’ve seen, they just ask ‘Mr Vice’ to propose the toast.

2 Likes

for the protection of the Vice and the guests!!
Most times I have seen this allowed has not ended well…

1 Like

We must have lucked out with our choices of Vice then - never had a problem with the “entertainment” portion.

1 Like

and watch out for people holding a glass of water underneath the wine/port glass while drinking the toast…

Which interestingly merges when Prince William ascends as he is a descendant on his mothers side…

He’s not the ‘top’ pretender, though, is he? (Wikipedia says it’s Franz, Duke of Bavaria.)

Fun fact: don’t be surprised when the Navy, should you have any present, remain seated.

They don’t stand, lest they nut their heads on a low ceiling…

Also, everyone seems to make this up as they go along. So, rather than start an argument about the correct call and response of the thing, just make sure you brief everyone in advance so you’re all on the same page. Importantly, whether or not a band will play the national anthem in between Vice saying “the King” and everyone else copying.

Edit: I realise my minor profanity has been censored. Apologies to the mods if I done a bad thing…

1 Like

It was the same in the Royal Welch Fusiliers, although I don’t know about their post-amalgamation successor, The Royal Welsh.

1 Like

Same goes for quite a few Army Regiments, there is even one do the old Cavalry Regiments (can’t remember which one) who actively used to talk through the National Anthem/Loyal Toast. Don’t k ow if they survived Options for Change but saw it on a documentary make in the late 1980’s. You also have the Rocket Troop of the Royal Artillery who toast the King of Sweden on certain days rather than our own Monarch due to some detached duty they did.

1 Like

I don’t know the reasons, but the Queen’s Royal Hussars are permitted to ignore both the toast and the national anthem. They formed as a result of Options for Change, through the merging of The Queen’s Own Hussars and the Queen’s Royal Irish Hussars.

That’s who I was thinking about the Irish Hussars.

Like all of these things the claim is that it’s because their loyalty isn’t in question.

1 Like

I have been privileged to be at an event where I have not had to participate in this toast.
As a first timer it felt very strange.

1 Like

Had a CCF dinner where the SSI was from the royal Irish regiment.

Port was passed to the right!

Error. Error. Not. Compute.

1 Like

No alcohol though if cadets present if I understand the new rules recently.