Lists of ranks & titles

Do some organisations just pluck ranks and titles at random from Wikipedia without really understanding what they’re doing? These are the options in eDofE

Screenshot 2021-03-18 at 12.53.56

so many questions… why WO2 but not WO1 (or just WO)? Flg Off?! And why no Lt? Why Lt Col but no Wg Cdr? :man_shrugging: :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

I always enjoy the various permutations of “Reverend”.

1 Like

but you can’t be any form of Reverend and be a DofE leader! :stuck_out_tongue: (apart from being an “other”)

Sir but no dame. You have to love the honours system.

2 Likes

It’s annoying, isn’t it?

To be fair, if they just give Mr, Mrs and Miss someone will complain they can’t be Dr; if they give a comprehensive list someone will complain they have gone over the top.

Maybe time for organisations who don’t need to know your gender not to ask? But then we get inventions like Mx which would cause me to refuse to take part…

I was less irked about the length of the list, rather more about the non-equivalence (like, why OF4 for Army but not RAF, but OF1 for RAF but not Army)

You can identify as maintenance?

Frequently I feel more like Wx, TBH.

2 Likes

Do they perhaps compile from the options entered when selecting ‘other’?

…there’s no free text field, just an “other” select option

This is what happens with one of the organisations I’m involved with. Once we hit 5 recurrences of a title being added in the Others field then it joins the list.

I guess not then :smiley:

1 Like

Why ?

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.