Linux Air Combat Simulator

I’ve just stumbled across Linux Air Combat Simulator, a lightweight flight simulator that’ll run on hardware as limited as the £55 Raspberry Pi 4B 4GB.
askmisterwizard.com/2019/LinuxAirCombat/LinuxAirCombat.htm

I’ve not tried it myself, but seems to support enough for us to use for basic flight training and some fun with up to 10 cadets flying in the same virtual airspace.

4 Likes

Time to learn Manjaro. See you in a few years!

Great find, need to wait for Pis to come down in cost, seem to be silly prices atm

Could be a useful way to repurpose older PC kit too?

The supply chain issues they’ve had for the last two years that have caused that price gouging are (according to them) coming to an end so hopefully shouldn’t be much longer.

I’ve been trying to get hold of one too but just not paying scalped prices as a matter of cost and principle…

Absolutely, throw a lightweight Linux distro onto old squadron PC’s, maybe with a small SSD to replace spinning rust, and most older hardware will be useful for another few years at least.

1 Like

Stand by for the Pause!

Have you considered:

1. All users must have completed a HSE approved Display Screen Assessment in the preceding 12 months prior to use.

2. The IT equipment must be PAT Tested.

3. Only an approved seat is to be used

4. The Computer must not be operating non-licenced software/programs and must be installed with MOD approved firewall and security packages.

5. ONLY the use of 6FTS or 2FTS aircraft are allowed

6. Only CAFAV who have attended the RAF Pilots course can train the Cadets.

7. Only Cadets who have completed an AV-1 can use the sim.

8. Only airports authorised by MAA are to be flown from.

9. Overflights of MOD establishments are prohibited.

10. Aerobatics are strictly prohibited.

11. All crashes are to be reported via the CoC and the equipment used impounded and sent to Region for investigation.

12. Cadets involved in 11. are to be offered counselling and insurance details.

13. operators must not have exceeded 6 hours of travel or duty in the immediate 3 hours before operation.