Lightweight boots

Hi - I have a pair of LOWA boots but am after a pair of lightweight boots for wearing in the summer - anyone got any advice on makes / styles ?

Thanks

AJ

When I was issued boots for the ghan I was there for the season change over so had to get issued summer and winter kit boots wise I had a pair of LOWA (great boots) and magnums very much lightweight and not bad either

Been nosing at Magnums so will go try some on I think

Altberg sneekers and lowa uplanders are both very lightweight boots and will be cool (for boots anyway) in the summer if you don’t get the waterproof versions.

Those look awesome boots but will have to wait for the money fairy to visit before I can get my paws on those !!

Have settled for a pair of cheapie magnums off ebay !!

AJ

Adidas GSG9’s were a favourite light-weight boot on my old squadron, though they aren’t the smartest of boots so they were usually reserved for phys/exercises.

you could always take a look at the Belleville range, the ones I have on are comfy!

I second the option of Magnums. Light, comfy (need next to no breaking in) and relatively cool.

Had I not had three really bad pairs this year alone, I’d recommend the Karrimor Couger 3s from Sports Direct at £29.99. They’re a Magnum ripoff at half the price.

However, I’ve had three pairs this year alone. The first lasted a couple of months before the heels wore through. The second pair lasted for 4 day walks (ok, it was 86 miles) and a weekend of standing about with cadets before the same happened. The third pair I had for exactly 2 weeks, wore for 4 days at Nijmegen and wore the heels through again.

On the plus side, they are light, coolish and don’t need breaking in and are exceptionally cheap. Downside, they’re not massively waterproof and this year, the build quality isn’t great, although I’ve had other pairs previously that have been good.

I just bought a pair of the cougars to replace my very near-to-death Magnums, so I’ll let you know how I got on with them!

Hi All,

I’ve had my latest pair of Magnums (Cobra 8.0s) only 8 months and have been disgusted at the quality of the boot as the soles are separating from the boot. (Only did 1x RAFWARMA, 1x Nijmegen, 1x Deathmarch plus day to day wear) (As opposed to my last pair who lasted me almost 3 years 3x RAFWARMA, 2x Nijmegen, 3x Deathmarch (but less day to day wear)

Magnum aren’t being very co-operative re: customer service and I was wondering if anyone had a decent recommendation for a new set of boots - shame as I’ve loved all my Magnums since my first set.

Regards

Victor Zulu

VZ

I have had a pair of Magnums Classics about 6-7 years ago and finally gave up at RIAT 2012 (the wettest year, the same fault you describe), waited for the pay to come through and went for Magnum sidezip.

it took me until Feb this year to actually get round to purchasing them and they starting failing at RIAT 2013…the same issue.
i took them back to Millets (Magnum would only deal with me if i purchase through them according to their webpage) and they readily accepted there was a fault. two weeks later a letter arrived to confirm that they (Millet’s returns dept HQ) agreed this was a manufacturing fault not “wear and tear” after 4-5 months and offered a full refund or replacement.

i have gone for replacement remaining optimistic the first pair was a one off bad batch…

I’m currently trying out a pair of Karrimor Cougars - reduced from £60 to £30, so too good an offer to miss - I’ll let you know if they hold up!

I have a Pair of the Mil-com Full leather patrol boots, and i know everyone bitches about them but i wear them a fair bit (day to day, feildcraft, and hiking) and there are still in good condition for me, all ive had to do it change the laces. Trick is that they arnt supposed to be polished as often as other boots its a special wipe clean leather.

[quote=“steve679” post=11589]VZ

I have had a pair of Magnums Classics about 6-7 years ago and finally gave up at RIAT 2012 (the wettest year, the same fault you describe), waited for the pay to come through and went for Magnum sidezip.

it took me until Feb this year to actually get round to purchasing them and they starting failing at RIAT 2013…the same issue.
i took them back to Millets (Magnum would only deal with me if i purchase through them according to their webpage) and they readily accepted there was a fault. two weeks later a letter arrived to confirm that they (Millet’s returns dept HQ) agreed this was a manufacturing fault not “wear and tear” after 4-5 months and offered a full refund or replacement.

i have gone for replacement remaining optimistic the first pair was a one off bad batch…[/quote]

See I had purchased these boots from the Magnum Website itself, would you recommend I still send them off back to Magnum for an inspection despite their CS telling me it is wear and tear (they got me to send them photos)

i’m in no position to offer a recommendation.

being one who likes to try on footwear before i purchase it, particularly at this cost i went to Millets who were my closest retailer.

when the boots failed i searched what “guarantee” and/or refund service was available and it indicated if bought direct deal direct, if not deal with the retailer. i then searched Millets conditions, and found they would accept them.
showed proof of purchase and within a few weeks i had it sorted…

If they are just for “light” duties, then RAF lightweight flying boots are pretty good. Used them in the past for medium distance navex stuff & road walking up to 8km at a time (with sorbathane Inners). Not that much ankle support for rougher terrain though.

Currently on eBay - tried the link but it wouldn’t post - £40.

The normal standard flying boots were pretty good for most conditions, but the sole pattern was a bit limiting. I had converted a couple of pairs to add on a “combat” sole which gave the best of both worlds.

Personaly I wouldnt wear Flying boots unless you dont plan on doing much walking they really are not made for it as Mike pointed out no ankle support and the tred is a anti FOD tred so not much grip.

There is a reason they are flying boots and not walking boots great for walking around camp in but not much use after that.

Altberg’s all the way for me, Sneekas for road marching, Defenders for fieldcraft, Peacekeepers for work, Field and Fell for AT. Never had a blister - wore a pair of Meindls once and wore a huge blister in me heel! Magnums - not with a barge pole.