LFMT syllabus change

When did the LFMT syllabus for L144A1 change to having no clear scoring? I find it very odd that badges/qualifications are awarded essentially at the discretion of the RCO - or have I totally misread this?

Ref ACP018:3

unsure what you’re looking at

ACP18 Volume 3 has the scores clearly shown in paragraph 81
document page 3-16 or file page 51 of 95

But at CLF1/2 an award is made simply for improvement. There is no pass mark, and no scoring.

I have no real problem with this, other than it being more effort to track.

that is the key part.

it doesn’t matter if the grouping is 20mm down to 8mm or 75mm >50mm
it is an improvement. there doesn’t need to be a pass mark for showing an improvement.

i understand that “improvement” could be subjective, but be realistic.
75mm to 73mm is an improvement, but is that realistically showing the RCO/coach and critically the shooter they have understood how to apply to MM principles?

75mm > 65mm is a much more definite improvement.

i can understand the frustration though - improvement is improvement
as an example
Shooter 1 starts with 60mm ends on 48mm = 20% improvement
Shooter 2 starts with 75mm ends on 68mm = 10% improvement
both are entitled to the reward, yet shooter 2 even at their best was scoring lower than shooter 1

CLF1 and 2 are not about competition shooting, but getting the shooter (Cadet) to successfully hit the target by application of the MM principles. Once they have achieved that then scoring is considered.

The key is in para 25

The scoring objectives for the above practices are as follows:

The firer establishes their own standards. The aim is to encourage them to improve on both group sizes & score on each subsequent practice. The scores are to be recorded in the F3822.The three group sizes are then to be added together and then divided by three, this will give an average group size The firer encouraged to shoot to their average or improve their average group size on subsequent shoots.
The scoring element is to be used as an incentive within the group of firers to introduce and generate an air of competition.

A secondary purpose to using a scoring element is to assist those firers who may not be able to hold a group successfully.
This will encourage participation & still allow progression.

For the purposes of scoring, if the inside edge of the shot hole is touching or breaking a scoring ring, the higher value is given.
In some cases a firer may shoot such a tight set of group sizes that improvement is impossible.
Encourage this scoring to continue to CLF 2. However, score deterioration may occur.
In these cases, use the higher scores of CLF 1 and the discretion of the RCO to award the Trained Shot badge.

specifically my bold
CF1 is designed to encourage first time shooters to continue in the sport.

we don’t put learner drivers straight on the M25 and tell them to get on with it, there is a progression path where skills are taught and learnt on more suitable roads.
likewise with CF1 we are encouraging the shooter (Cadet) to get 5 rounds down the range successfully hitting the target.

For some they will never ever improve a group tighter than 55mm - which may be outside of a score threshold (50mm/2" as an example) - they may well be put off and discouraged from shooting because they can’t do it.

CL2 does offer a score as indicated in paragraph 41

If the average group sizes have improved by a reduction by 10% overall (eg. an average 50 mm group has reduced to 45 mm), the Trained Shot badge may be awarded.

1 Like

although going off topic and moving on the blue level badges in PTS

the same could be said for blue badge flying and gliding.
there is no “score” or minimum number of hours to achieve. the Cadet simply needs to have experienced the PTT and flown in either a Tutor or Viking.

but consider the title of the blue shooting badge “trained shot”
that is as descriptive as it need be - the individual has shown they have been trained, they have learnt the skills to use the weapon and developed these to show improvement.

the badge title does not indicate the person can take the wings off a fly at 100 paces, simply they have fired the weapon

1 Like

Yup, and I think awarding wings for simply having sat in an aircraft is equally meaningless, degrades the value of actual achievements (marksman/ACPS), and fails to encourage further endeavour. To be blunt. Cadets are more likely to engage in improving their marksmanship and move towards competition shooting if they have a definite & immediate goal (ie second class, first class, marksman)

1 Like

I cant believe there needs to be a syllabus for ‘point that way’ and ‘squeeze’, but then I may have been away from shooting for a couple of decades!

1 Like

and there is the answer to your own question…

tell a Cadet to get 5 rounds in the target within Xmm grouping or its pointless them being there is different to recognising their improvement.
it takes 1 in 100 Cadets who can reach a MM level (ie scored award) on their first use of a rifle
it may be 1 in 50 Cadets who reach that within the same day of that first use

but it will be 10 in 11 who will be encouraged to return again having already shown promise by improving and the knowledge that in a day they saw an improvement, with the potential to improve further with return visits

some cadets may only ever pick up a weapon once or twice a year, and those who show an improvement (10+%) are awarded with recognition.
those who take on that achievement and want more will further engage with the next step

MM was always the goal pre PTS, and would always train for it, but so few Cadets ever reached it the target became unrealistic for Cadets to achieve if they pick up a weapon only once or twice a year.
shooting is a discipline which requires continual practise to avoid skill fade…far better to encourage repeat attendance and work towards an achievement than make the achievement only open to those who show promise in their first ever firing

1 Like

…and that’s why 1st and 2nd class existed, and were much easier to achieve. I’d regularly see over half of the group achieve a classification their first time on the range

Except no one gave a damn about being a. first or second class shot as it didn’t really mean anything. Whereas passing the CLF’s does, with trained shot effectively replacing this.

This changed when the update was released a couple of months back. It took a lot longer than most would have liked to appear as well.

While it’s not perfect it’s point is to give the Cadets who improve a badge to recognise that, the old PTS compared to the even older marksman standards made things too hard at the lower end.