Leadership in the Field

Morning guy’s,

I’ve been a long time lurker viewing all the posts and getting a lot of useful info from all of you which I thank you all for.
I’ve been tasked with running a leadership in the field exercise at my Sqn for our potential NCO’s.

I usually do some form of patrolling with each cadet taking the IC and 2ic role so each of them get a chance to experience these roles and myself and the other staff can assess their ability to lead a small group.

What I’m asking is if anyone has any ideas of how I can do this. I have been running it like this for a few years now and just feel I could achieve this task a lot better and make it much more exciting for the cadets which are the reason I’m here. Just looking for an exciting mini exercise of leadership in the field if anyone can help that would be fab.

[quote=“Op Tac” post=16539]
I usually do some form of patrolling with each cadet taking the IC and 2ic role so each of them get a chance to experience these roles and myself and the other staff can assess their ability to lead a small group.

What I’m asking is if anyone has any ideas of how I can do this. I have been running it like this for a few years now and just feel I could achieve this task a lot better and make it much more exciting for the cadets which are the reason I’m here. Just looking for an exciting mini exercise of leadership in the field if anyone can help that would be fab.[/quote]

First things first, it is a Section Commander not an IC - IC doesn’t make sense :).

What you need to establish is what you are allowed to do in the field, as it will affect how you can practice it. Patrolling is only going to give you so much experience as there is far more to the roles than just leading a section/fire team on a patrol. How long do you intend to run the “exercise” and what kind of area do you have?

I have around a hour they have covered most of acp 17 so are quite clued up on fieldcraft. We have a heavly wooded area with a large field in front of it with several paths leading through the woods.

This is just a quick exercise for them to try and shine and so they can hold their on while in charge of a small group.

I was thinking a small cam and concealment exercise of putting them in the woods, Then put out a big whiteboard with say 10 - 20 words on it and every time they are seen or heard a word gets rubbed off the whiteboard. but not sure this would be the best way to assess their leadership skills without having a staff member shadowing them while they do it.

Do it properly - actually do a patrol sequence.

Give them orders
Get them to give orders*
Inspection
Rehearsals
Patrol

Get them to do the whole job and you can give them a fairly simple task (close recce is always a good choice) as actually running things will make it complicated enough!

*Doesn’t have to be anything too in depth, just basic GSMEAC: Ground, Situation (enemy and friendly forces), Mission, Execution (overall scheme of manoeuvre, coordinating instructions - RVs, timings, boundaries and “actions on”), Admin and Logistics (Dress, equipment, rations, transport and medical as appropriate) and command and signal (networks, frequencies and call-signs). S, M, A and C should be repeated from the commander’s orders pretty much verbatim, G from the map/local knowledge and E is where the sect commanders will have to make their plan.

If you need any examples, PM me!

[quote=“Op Tac” post=16545] not sure this would be the best way to assess their leadership skills without having a staff member shadowing them while they do it.[/quote]Erm, I’d say that you can’t assess their leadership skills without having a staff member shadowing them. Ability to complete the task is no indicator or leadership ability or vice versa - as far as you know they just shut up for the whole time and let one of the other cadets lead, or were fantastic at leading but made a single tactical error.

[quote=“Op Tac” post=16545]I have around a hour they have covered most of acp 17 so are quite clued up on fieldcraft.[/quote]16 hopefully! :wink:

Yep. I agree with MattB.
If you want to see them close up for leadership then you have to be with them.
Obviously this isn’t Senior Brecon, but the use of a full Orders Group and then them giving orders will give you numerous ways to see and judge their potential. The only problem I see is your time restraint. You can’t really get them all to give orders if you only have an hour.
If you can’t give them time to do this then a “thinking on their feet” task may have to suffice. This way they can be split into smaller sub sections and be given a covert advance to contact or advance into a harbour area.
This you could do with limited support from extra staff.
Ultimately though, Matt’s suggestion of O-Group and dissemination is the best option if you can find the time. Best of luck. Be nice to hear what you decide and how it goes.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

this has given me some great direction, just having one of those burn out moments where i just couldnt think of anything and felt i had done everything that i could think of. Just a small bit of input from fresh eyes has spured me on with some ideas to develop.

Thanks again guys.

[quote=“Racing Stick” post=16557]Yep. I agree with MattB.
If you want to see them close up for leadership then you have to be with them.
Obviously this isn’t Senior Brecon, but the use of a full Orders Group and then them giving orders will give you numerous ways to see and judge their potential. The only problem I see is your time restraint. You can’t really get them all to give orders if you only have an hour.[/quote]Yeah, although does depend on how that hour is allocated.

If it doesn’t include the O Group (which could be done on a preceeding parade night if really necessary) and gives you 1 hour per lead then it’s plenty… if it’s an hour total to assess the leadership of half a dozen candidates then you’ll struggle!

[quote=“Op Tac” post=16558]Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

this has given me some great direction, just having one of those burn out moments where i just couldnt think of anything and felt i had done everything that i could think of. Just a small bit of input from fresh eyes has spured me on with some ideas to develop.

Thanks again guys.[/quote]

We all have them. Strangely my burn out moments normally follow instructions from my wife!!

Orders, at a basic (and a very basic) level - suitably optimised for ATC use.

Basic Orders.pdf

[quote=“MattB” post=16601]Orders, at a basic (and a very basic) level - suitably optimised for ATC use.

Basic Orders.pdf[/quote]

Great document. I will use this myself as an aide memoire.