L98A2

Does that matter?

Are practical FIBUA lessons on the ACF syllabus for cadets? Genuine question.

Does this also include flying a drone overhead for photos…

Would love to see the risk assessments and insurances for all that.

They are often ran by service instructors as an experience piece. I know CCF, ACF and RM units that have done that and it’s well within their remit and often encouraged especially for the older more experienced Cadets to keep them interested and developing.

1 Like

Insurance is the same as for any other activity. In the same vein, risk assessments are done as they would be for any other activity. Identify risk and try to mitigate it where you can. Unfamiliar subject? Get a qualified instructor. Going into building or through holes in walls? Helmet + gloves. Cadets firing in enclosed spaces? Eye protection.

Why would you even mention live rounds???

I ran/organised FIBUA trg for a couple of ATC Sqns when I was at Larkhill - they enjoyed it, and it was a training tool to learn and experience more important things than FIBUA.

Why wouldn’t you want cadets doing something they would enjoy, get a great deal out of, and that’s pretty safe?

3 Likes

Technically it’s not called FIBUA when dealing with Cdts, but TIBUA (Training in Built Up Areas). You need to have SA(M)07 qualified staff to run it (as well as enough Excercise Assistants).

I’ve run it with the ACF at the Lydd training complex.

Because we were discussing an upgrade to the L98A2 for Cdt shooting.

No, we were discussing an upgrade to the L98A2. Nothing about the discussion was focussed on shooting. For FIBUA we use blank rounds.

Of course, we can just as easily put live rounds through it, but on the range. We use the same rifles on the range as we do in the field.

An upgrade to the L98A2 - I pointed out that the A3 upgrade to the L85 was for Operational purposes ie shooting, and for which there is no requirement for Cdt purposes.

Stop splitting hairs.

Ok, let’s try not to get too heated please.

Keep to the subject at hand or take it to PM.

TIBUA is actually probably safer than sections running around in a field as it is typically ran slower. So long as the obvious protections are in place like eye pro and gloves and high collars to stop warm blanks heading down the neckline. As you say, can be a great activity.

Biggest risk in fieldcraft is slips and trips, I still maintain we focus too much on what could happen instead of focusing on what does happen.

4 Likes

True for so many activities, though, in my experience.

The most serious injury I’ve been ‘responsible’ for was an Army cadet who slipped and fell onto his rifle while crossing a stile on a training area, breaking his elbow joint nastily.

Needless to say, he had done the ‘obstacle crossing’ lesson - he was showboating by trying to vault over it rather than climb properly. I don’t really know what we could have done, short of following him around nagging him constantly, to prevent it.

4 Likes