L98a2?

what are the requirements for L98A2 IWT? our flight NCO says that you only need to have shot the air rifle before but I feel like there’s more?

You need to be over 14, you also need to have acheived a certain level of accuracy with the air rifle (not just have live-fired)

ACTO043.35

To be eligible to fire the L98A2 rifle, cadets are to meet the following criteria:

a. Have reached 14 years of age and First Class Cadet Standard.

b. Be considered by the Sqn Cdr or Local Cdr to be sufficiently mature mentally and

c. Have successfully completed either the Air Rifle Marksman Test (CLF2 in Ref F) or the Small Bore Rifle Marksman Test (CLF2 in Ref F) to Trained Shot standard, or hold a minimum of a legacy Squadron Marksman on the Air Rifle or Small Bore Rifle. (From 1 May 17, not to be applied retroactively)

d. Have successfully completed IWT in accordance Reference D Lessons 1 to 9.

e. Have passed the L98A2 Weapon Handling Test (WHT) within the previous 6 months.

What if there are no air rifle ranges in the wing. I think it is a bit rich that the powers that B insist on a standard on something that has to be privately purchased by sqns

Then you shoot it on the number 8 instead.

There are zero problems with this.

Or buy a pack of hobnobs and contact your local ACF.

The original poster asks for the requirements for IWT (Initial Weapon Training), not for firing. ACTO 43 as quoted above gives eligibility for firing the rifle.

Are there any restrictions on IWT for the L98A2 (rather than firing)?

No, but what’s the point in doing IWT if you aren’t going to be able to fire? I could understand doing the IWT alongside 1st Class training, or just before the cdt is 14, but not if there is an immovable barrier in the way of allowing the cdt to fire.

It’s also much easier to train cdts effectively on L98 if they have prior experience on a simpler wpns system, allowing them to understand and put into practice marksmanship principles without complex drills to worry about.

So the cadet is ready to fire when they get the chance. If you have ready access to rifles then there is no problem, but not all units. I train my cadets in SAA all the time, even if I know it will probably be 6 months before they will probably get to fire the rifle.

Hence why I said:

“No, but what’s the point in doing IWT if you aren’t going to be able to fire? I could understand doing the IWT alongside 1st Class training, or just before the cdt is 14, but not if there is an immovable barrier in the way of allowing the cdt to fire.”

I mean that there is no sense in doing IWT L98 if there is no opportunity to fire AR/No8 - this would present an immovable barrier to firing L98.

IWT and a current WHT is also required for those undertaking D&C Camps, so may be required long before the opportunity to fire the rifle (and meet the prerequisites) arrives.

IWT on the L98A2 is a fairly intensive course and I would not deliver it unless the cadets were likely to need that skill within a reasonable window - certainly within the span of currency of the WHT they will hopefully pass at the end of training.

It’s a 2.5 day cse for the IWT = depends on availability of SAAI, resources, etc.

It has to be a balance between IWT “access,” availability to have shot AR/No8 (but No8 is, of course, very problematic at the moment), & “skill fade” should the time between L98 IWT & L98 live firing be right at the end of the 6 month WHT currency.

Except there is an indefinite stop on the No.8 until the the RAF has a 2 star sign off on the safety case.

So yet another example of where the ACF can carry in more or less as per normal and the ATC can’t.

Will have to wait for the introduction of the No. 8 replacement - however long that will be!

My “zero problems” comment may not have been intended entirely seriously.

2 Likes

Well I guess if you can’t use them then
they can’t give any problems :slight_smile:

2 Likes

the L114a1 is being delivered to regions and wings at 50% scale begining june 17

If that timescale remains accurate, then you still have to plan for the lead time of the local SATT being qualified (if not already actioned, then local sqn SAAIs to be qualified, then the RCOs / cadets to be qualified…

That will be moving into Jul & maybe even Aug due to personnel /cadet availability (school holidays, etc).

I’m hearing that both tranches are being delayed and that tranche 2 may not be complete until March 18…

SATT Teams already Qualled and im sure there are L114A1 courses on the shooting portal, RCO’s dont need to qualify to run the range, just need your SAAI to start talking to SATT for training.

They need to hold a current WHT on the rifle being used.
That may involve being trained directly by SATT to ensure quality of information, much as the L98A2 training for shooting staff needed to be delivered by SATTs.