L85A2 on JLs - why?

Re-reading the L98A2 thread got me wondering:

Why DO JLs use the L85A2? Apart from general ally-ness, and an overwhelming sense that the rules of the ACO don’t apply to JLs, what’s the point?

Probably because it’s easier to get a large pool of L85s than 98s?

[quote=“tmmorris” post=26022]Re-reading the L98A2 thread got me wondering:

Why DO JLs use the L85A2? Apart from general ally-ness, and an overwhelming sense that the rules of the ACO don’t apply to JLs, what’s the point?[/quote]

Safety. Remember the L98A1 couldn’t fit the BFA…
Nowadays, it’s still convenience of locating weapons. It’s a hell of a lot easier getting hold of 80+ L85s from one source.

You sound like a JL sceptic…

There has never been anything to stop cadets using the L85A2. (other than a current WHT, specifically for the weapon)

Politically, the justification for the L98A2 is to ensure we have a weapon for SAA and LFMT when we want it.

Before the upgrade, it was seriously debated whether to abandon the Cadet specific weapon and just order more L85A2s.

I’m sure that if that debate was being held today in austerity Britain, we would have simply got the L85A2. (or an empty promise that some weapons somewhere would be available for us to use for 1 hour between 0800 and 0900 on the 29th February every leap year)

I say bring back the No 4! Bloody indestructible and accurate

Sceptic, moi?

I’m sceptical about that reason, though - the CCF and ACF happily and safely carried out blank firing on the L98A1 for years. I’m not aware of lots of accidents.

Pools of weapons - yes, a possible excuse. How many cadets do JLs each course? Though I’m sure the ACF or CCF could lend them enough…

There’s never been anything to stop cadets? Other than an ACTO…

as i read it is there an argument for the 85 because of the BFA??

if the only difference between 85 and 98 is the change lever…surely the BFA fitting argument is redundant???

availablity i could understand. given each training exercise is at a different location one Wing/Region may be flush with L98 availability, while others less so given local MOD sites/Armouries/Number of Cadets to accomodate in an armouries catchment to warrant the need to stock L98s…

i’ve both fired blank from L98A1 and helped run a blank exercise on L98A1, and the safety issue of effectively giving 200 cadets a low power shotgun to play cowboys and indians with was a pain in the bum.

it was a needless embuggerence, so much marshalling was required that the exercises never flowed properly, and far more planning and effort and cadet level command was devoted to the safety issue than was given to the point of the exercise.

Which ACTO says cadets can’t use the L85A2?

There are 80ish students each course, plus staff, I’d be mightily upset if I was unable to run a range on a JL weekend as they were all being used elsewhere on a national course.

The 85’s come from 1 station making logistics nice and easy :slight_smile:

Exactly. They all come from one place. Of we had to use Corps 98s the admin trail and transportation problems would be ridiculous.