Kit care

I’m getting a new Set of Blues soon and I want to make sure i’m caring for it all properly,

First, What is starch, does it damage my kit, and is it Permanent

Second, i want to stop Shiny patches appearing on shirts, any tips?

Third, how on gods green earth do people get those perfect rank slides that look Flat, what witch craft is that

Fourth, are grafters any good for serious Parade shoes or should i try swap them?

Fifth, how’s your day been?

Starching fabric makes it go stiff, supposedly to hold creases better. In the age of modern steam irons I find it completely unnecessary and after a couple of cycles of washing and ironing the creases hold themselves anyway.

I’m not sure what you are doing to get shiny patches on shirts. I iron mine before every wear and there’s no shine. Best I can think of is to try turning your iron down (to the three dots setting) and making sure it has water in it. [Edit to add: and the steam setting is on.]

I wear rank slides straight out of the packet and they look flat. The trick it removing them before washing the garment and putting them straight onto another one (so the pairs are kept together).

Sorry, I can’t help here (what are grafters?)

In all honesty - “let” the cadets teach you…

Make it a training opportunity for them…

And make a point of encouraging them to share THEIR hints and tips…

(Just pay most attention to the cadet with the best appearance…)

2 Likes

If this is the brand I’m thinking of, I believe they don’t take polish very well?

1 Like

Makes the uniform stiffer and holds creases, easily stains the uniform though…would advise against, just use a decent iron

Your irons too hot

A thing called an iron on a low temperatue, iron with the stitch facing upwarda and chevrons facing downwards

Dont know. I prefer DMS Issue shoes.

Also a bit of advice, uniform prep is only 30% of the effort, the rest is looking after it, washing it correctly and storing it correctly

2 Likes

That’s where I was going with the rank slides. When I talk about transferring them to another garment, that’s invariably an ironed shirt hung up in my wardrobe and not something crumpled up on the floor.

1 No need for starch in my eyes, only going to make things more complicated than they need to be

2 Use a dish cloth and iron over it. I use the two dots setting and it works fine.

3 No idea

4 Definitely avoid Grafters and try to get an issue pair, they polish SO much easier

2 Likes

This is how I stop my No. 1s from going shiny.

Generally no, but it is possible to stain garments with the spray-on stuff if you don’t use it correctly.

Differently to Flight above, I only use an iron on the absolute minimum heat setting to achieve steam, both for trousers and shirts. Steam the hell out of it, then turn the steam off to go over just enough to dry the garment out again.

I suspect that too much dry ironing is what is causing your shiny patches.

Throw them under a flat cloth with the rank facing down, iron dry for a short stints at a time (they don’t do well with extreme heat or moisture)

Not ideal. Will suit you fine for general wear, but if you’re looking to get an impressive finish then issued DMS will serve you better.

Pretty good so far.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.