Just a couple of questions

My goal is to become a commissioned VGS VRT officer.

I’ve spoken to the adjutant and arranged an interview to become uniformed SNCO, when I asked about commission he basically said it’s filling deadmans shoes.

Obviously I will take the SNCO route but realistically what’s the timescales and processes for going for commission?

I’m not trying to run before I walk but I’m generally intrested in becoming an officer.

Can anyone suggest anything?

What is the commissioned requirement?

Cheers!

If you’re genuinely interested in becoming an officer - why go down the SNCO route?

For time line, it takes about 10 months from application going in to getting on OASC.

When speaking to the sqn adjutant I asked about becoming an officer and he said the only way to commission would be to fill someone who leaves position.

He said my option is currently uniformed SNCO, I have an interview with him very soon.

Hm interesting

Any specific reason why you wouldn’t want to be in the ATC and be supernumerary at VGS? And swap over once there’s an actual vacancy?

You can’t directly commission from outside the ACO and VGS aren’t recruiting CGIs so to go into the VGS, SNCO is currently the only route.

The VGS will have an establishment of 10 officers all of which are specific roles: OC, Adj, Tech etc the majority of these are grade linked to instructor grades. So the time to occupy them is linked to how long it takes to get to that grade. The adj is partly right in that it can be “deadmans” shoes as VGS have no wing type structure for the old and bold to move up into so the churn can be very slow, however there are still always cases of individuals stepping down from roles or moving away etc.

Keep in mind also that at this moment in time depending on which VGS it is it probably is an amalgamation of several units that will have completely filled out it’s establishment.

I wouldn’t mind joining the ATC either. When speaking to the adj the plan was SNCO Aircrew (all courses), work on simulators doing whatever nessicary before flying the 109 hopefully.

Thanks for clearing this up. I think the SNCO Aircrew role sounds interesting. Maybe I won’t commission and just enjoy it for what it is. At the end of the days it’s quite attractive to me anyway.

Just a thought, if I joined the ATC as an officer and the transferred over where would that leave me, would the allow this? Or would it be a complete waist of time.

I do know that over time the commission oppertunities will open up on the VGS.

So 645 then, a combination of 3 units with a 4th lodging have had to “demote” several officers so are probably fairly stacked.

It would most likely annoy the Sqn that had commissioned you as they’ll have done all the leg work getting you commissioned and would expect some return on the investment. Is possible but again if not filling a role you’d not be doing anything that would require a commission.

Could be on a local Sqn and supernummary on the VGS but that is a lot of time to commit.

Yes 645. To be fair the SNCO sounds good and worth going for, there’s nothing to say I can’t get commissioned later on.

Just out of interest I can’t find much information on the role but what are the benefits of joining?

I also live a considerable distance from 645. As a uniformed SNCO is there any substance?

Cheers

There is no Motor Mileage Allowance MMA until you reach grade 1. As an NCO you’ll get up to 28days pay, that isn’t claimable on normal weekend days though, week long and approved courses only.

You do get free flying and a dashing green suit though.

1 Like

Most likely but still not 100% confirmed

That’s one of the issues that’s thrown the ACO commission into turmoil…? I guess we won’t know until later this year?

Not really selling it.

Thanks Tingger.

That’s cleared some things up… could you give me any advice for my initial interview? I know it’s informal.

Nope, but the way it’s always been. It was tipped that it might change in the latest 300 release but didn’t.

Just be yourself don’t try to give answers you think they might want to hear. If you have some knowledge of 2FTS and the training process it might help.

But at this stage it would be very informal just so they can put a pen picture forward to Syerston who do the formal appointment interview.

As VGS officers are VRT then surely they will move across to the new commission like the rest of them are?!

There was some whining about needing “RAF” personnel flying RAF airframes. I don’t know how that conversation has gone, though hopefully the same way a similar point about needing “RAF” personnel to hold unit inventories has gone!

But…but…but…I thought the Gp Capt said we’re not in the ‘RAF’?..

1 Like

When it suits…

1 Like