Joint Cadet Service Activities - new ways of working?

Morning all,

Recently, we have seen more and more cross-service events eg. army and air cadet joint events. I was just wondering:

Do you ever work with other cadet forces (Voluntarily)? If you do, what do you do and how do you do it?

If you don’t, why not? and would you ever consider it?

All hail purple cadet force…

7 Likes

It will happen more and more as budgets are cut, CFAV numbers reduce and oppurtunities for single service work reduce.

It is good to work with the other Cadet forces as you often see different ways of working and understand the wider picture. I work with ACF and SCC/RM on a regular basis and it’s always interesting.

2 Likes

I’m in a JCC, unfortunately I have to actively avoid working with the ACF as they concern me with how they run things…

I used your EUF the other night, not submitted our application to use it yet though

We can have an outdoor AR range here, we just need a backing board to stop pellets going out of the fence onto the public land used by dog walkers

Detachment Commanders can operate at a ratio of 1:20 so it’s fine that I’m the only adult

that sounds very concerning! Have you reported this to the Company Commander/county H&S Officer?

1 Like

Alas I got most of it 3rd hand.

The AR Range I have poo poo’d as I pointed them to CTR but apparently their TSA had said it was ok verbally, but unsure if this was just exuberance on newly appointedness.

2 Likes

You can’t poo poo, a poo poo… entire company, Covered in poo poo…

3 Likes

likewise.
Also true for a previous Squadron where we shared accommodation.

I recall when I was a cadet we did set up a 5-a-side evening ATC Vs ACF but that was a one off.

I have never known a regular joint event, the best I have seen is ACF Staff joining shooting or fieldcraft activities given the compatible qualifications.

I was often the only adult when I was a Detachment Commander; nothing was thought of it at the time. In fact, in rural Wales I think it was quite common.

1 Like

We never have but I suspect it’s just because we never have.

Two identical risk assessments will inevitably go in for approval for remembrance parades, for example. Meaninglessly duplicated work.

EUFs aren’t a thing for us, we just submit a TOPL (which usually doesn’t get a response). Done.

1 Like

My current mission is to stop cadets and staff absolutely ripping the ACF apart for no reason, want to work well with them then we have to respect each other, otherwise it’ll just build resentment!

Prior to this Sqn I’ve done annual interservice competition with ACF and VPC and really enjoyed it (no sea cadets nearby),

Unfortunately as with all things it is absolutely personality based!

2 Likes

Actually, we don’t bother in that particular instance. We do the exact same thing every year, so someone sensible (in our brigade at least) compiles everything into a spreadsheet so we don’t have to do a thing. All these parades are taking place in the same kind of places, so why individually risk assess each one?

Why doesn’t the ATC have access to the minibuses that RAFA supply to the ACF?

1 Like

RAFA minibuses?! Do you mean RFCA?

What do you mean by “have access”?

They are not part of Phoenix as they are paid for by their charity arm IIRC. They do have some other vehicles which are in the white fleet I think.

Why doesnt RAFAC have access to any vehicles would be the better question :joy: Trying to get whitefleet is an absolute nightmare…

Put requests in 3-4 weeks in advance and they still get knocked back, even to take cadets flying, the activity were supposed to prioritize over everything else.

Apparently 9 seaters are no longer part of the contract? Despite the fact it was by far one of the most suitable vehicles we could use, given the lack of D1 drivers

We’re currently sharing the local ACF hut, whilst our hut is renovated. At the end of the renovations (which are running late and should have already finished, of course), they’ll then move in with us permanently.

There’s 4 main things I’ve spotted so far, 2 of which may cause issues.

1. The ACF’s standard of cleanliness for their building is shockingly poor. They clearly really don’t respect the place.
  2. Despite the above, they have no issue telling us we haven’t cleaned up after ourselves, even when the mess hasn’t been caused by the ATC.
  3. Their communications on permanent delegated authority are much clearer, and in black and white.
  4. They’re able to work much more autonomously from their chain of command, needing to submit far fewer requests for activities to take place than we do.

We’re still hoping to work together to deliver activities such as DofE, but there will inevitably be much duplication of work until (if ever) the authorisation systems are standardised.

It’s not just us then…

They think they rule the place with their 15 cadets…compared to our 60 odd…

1 Like