Job in a School anyone?

Anyone fancy a job in Newcastle under Lyme School
School Staff Instructor (SSI)

2 days a week plus up to 51 days VA

1 Like

Not at £9.50 an hour!

2 Likes

I had a read through. They’re asking an awful lot, including 24/7 calllout, training staff and cadets, AT safety role and maintaining security briefings, for just National Minimum Wage.

No wonder they’re looking for someone to start as soon as possible. The previous incumbent probably left for a better paid job with far less responsibility.

I realise the irony that I do all of the above for free :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

That’s why I seriously considered taking on the CC role when it came up at my school as it wouldn’t have required much extra work. I was given first refusal, but then my new full time job came through and the maths didn’t add up.

The SSI role is in dire need of reform, but when they reviewed it a few years ago they backed off…

When CEP was introduced, they realised that the vast majority of SSIs were getting their 1 day a week VA, but the school was paying them for 2+ days as well. This was a cost they’d not foreseen. It hadn’t occurred to them just how much schools were subsidising their CCFs…

The real shame is that we volunteers can’t (assumption) claim the equivalent 2 days a week in VA for all of the background work we do as essential preparation (e.g., AOs, JIs, RAs, SMS, lesson plans etc.) for delivering our activities on the day.

1 Like

Indeed. I suspect the SSI position is a historical anomaly because the public school OTC/JTC positions were established and paid (I don’t know that to be a fact but no doubt @wilf_san will pop up in a minute with the history!).

PS I do know that people were promoted on appointment to the old OTC RSM positions, and that promotions on appointment of SSIs were still common, unsanctioned and frowned on in the 1990s. Our old SSI was promoted to WO1 from SSgt on appointment in c.1999 but shouldn’t have been. (Our current one was a proper regular WO1, however!)

Can you inagine… it would be amazing

It would be one way to guarantee a reduction in the admin burden… Not a bad idea if we could mobilise all CFAV into doing it. We’re not in the military now so there’s no law against, essentially, strike action!

What is VA awarded for these days?

I’d have thought anything beyond the standard parade night commitment to recognise the extra graft and time it takes to make stuff happen, but I’m betting it’s quite limited.

1 Like

everything listed in ACP 300 Annex A FI308

in short nothing that is charity based/raising funds or supporting sports (sports qualification courses yes, attending/taking part in sports no)

1 Like

and still >=8hrs (including travel) within each calendar day and away from the unit.