JNCO application letter

My sqdrn is doing a cpl promotion, and ive been allowed to put my name down. can people please give me any tips on my application letter? be harsh, i can take constructive criticism. also just some background, i was selected to put my name down bc my attendance uniform and drill are exceling apparently. I haven’t completed first class but 4 whatever reason staff are letting me be an acceptation. btw i didn’t ask myself, sgt suggested it to me, so im not just desperately trying to become a cpl.

Dear Sir,
I am writing to you as I am greatly interested in becoming the next JNCO, and joining the XXXX NCO team. Though I have only been at cadets since July 2021 , my experience of air cadets has been amazing, and I am hoping that by achieving the rank of Corporal, I can give back to the Air Training Corps what it has given to to me. I also hope that by becoming a JNCO, I can learn more about the squadron and how it works, as well as get to know other cadets more, both in and out of my flight. I feel I have well developed leadership, teamworking and communication skills, gained both from inside and outside of the ATC.

As an example, I am currently a 1st Dan black belt and junior instructor at the XXXX Taekwondo club, which I have regularly attended for 3 hours a week over the past 8 years. I instruct all ages as well as all belts, and have helped many to achieve successful gradings and move up within the sport. I am also the captain of my school form, where I have to attend regular meetings to discuss and come up with solutions to problems people have brought up, as well as having to talk confidently in front of a classroom. These abilities to organise activities, lead a group of people and easily demonstrate and share my knowledge with others are easily transferable to cadets, and would particularly help within the role of a JNCO.

Even as a cadet, I try to lead by example, making sure my drill, uniform and attendance are the best they can possibly be, and partaking in off squadron events like inter-squadron athletics and cross country, as well as selling poppys in Sainsburys for the royal British legion. I attend all compulsory events, and take opportunities when they are given. I also like to help the other cadets where possible, whether that`s aiding them to adjust their uniform to the correct way or giving them advice online, for example sending a video to a cadet who was struggling with ironing their brassard. A few times I have taken the front of my flight due to other NCOs absence, and I have taught small groups of cadets drill when the NCOs have been preoccupied.

Currently, I am working towards my first class qualification, and am hoping to start my bronze Dofe this summer. My hope is that as my time at cadets increases, I will earn as many qualifications and badges as possible, and maybe even go on to become a cadet warrant officer. Though I have quite clearly not been at cadets as long as others, I feel my experience from outside of the ATC and the commitment I`ve already shown to cadets, as stated above, give me fulfilling skills in order to become a part of the NCO team.

As a Cpl, I will help the NCOs as much as possible to increase uniform standards, defeat lateness and improve drill, so we can be the shiniest squadron on parade. I take great pride in XXXX, and I, alongside the staff and the NCOs, hope to help make it it the best it can be in all aspects.

Cdt XXXX

1 Like

Maybe I’m too out the loop nowadays but I’m pretty sure you need to complete first class before becoming eligible for promotion.

4 Likes

As above, I’d be very surprised if you were able to be promoted without 1st class, but your letter is nicely written and something you ought to be proud of.

1 Like

Agree with the others in that it would be highly unusual to promote a cadet to NCO rank without having obtained First Class. The situation does beg the question as why you are not First Class yet given you have been in the organisation for almost a year? I take my cadets through the syllabus in a maximum of six months.

1 Like

I too was under the Impression minimum of First class but with Ble Leading as a preferance and at least 1 years service.

As already said the content and tone of the letter is very good

There is no actual fixed requirement to have any classification for any rank, although their are obvious benefits and preferences to NCO’s having knowledge and experience.

I took over a failing Squadron and ended up with some very inexperienced NCO’s because the ones in post were useless and no syllabus training had been happening so none of the Cadets were where they needed to be.

4 Likes

To get us back on topic rather than just revisiting things we’ve discussed Nth times.

I think it’s a well written letter and if you are interested in promotion it’s well worth your time putting the application in and having a go at the process.

3 Likes

^ this - no requirement that I’m aware of. I thought there were suggestions written somewhere, but I can’t actually find it anywhere.

Really well written letter - best of luck.

Agreed with the above, the only thing I could think of as an additional point (whether it’s worth you including it is entirely up to yourself) is an acknowledgement that a Cpl is a Junior NCO and you know there’s more to learn and more areas to development. An appreciation and understanding that you are by no means the finished article. Yes, you want to give back, but there are also things you want to take and develop.

2 Likes

It used to be in the ACP joe Junior and Senior NCO Courses

I always thought you had to be leading to be a Cpl, but regardless of what class you do or don’t have to be. You might run into problems when you meet a fellow leading cdt who’s been in the cadets for 3 years, where you haven’t even got first class and you’re already a Cpl. Because one main reason why you are recommended to be a certain class is so you know more than your lower ranks, so you can help them, rather than the other way around.

There’s a lot more to being an NCO than just knowledge. Although I’d expect a JNCO to have a good understanding of the basics. The role of the JNCO is one of leadership. An NCO also fills a role. ie the squadron has a vacancy, and they might be the most suitable, regardless of what classification they are.

Having said all of that, I’ve always known leading to be the ‘expected classification’ of a corporal, and first class being a push. I don’t think I’ve seen a non-first class (or higher) corporal. But, if someone was otherwise suitable, and there a vacancy, then it shouldn’t hold them back.

1 Like

yeah it was a requirement, however my flt sgt wanted me to go for it bc all the others who have applied either dont turn up to half the nights or have rlly rlly bad uniform, whereas i get high uniform and attendance compared to others. i wasnt planning to go originally bc of this, but as i was asked i thought meh might as well

idkkk, theyve been lacking in lectures bc weve been taking in sooo many intakes. I have suggested to sgt that i would be happy to sit out of maybe drill nights when we are going over basics so i can complete it

So, what has happened to the rest of your intake - have they also not graduated to First Class? Given Drill is a key part of First Class unless you have passed your assessment you shouldn’t sit anything out.

1 Like

weve been doing sooooooooooooooooo much drill so im up to date on that. im like 7 pages away from finishing soooo its not too much tbh and ill probs have it done in a few nights