JL Questions

After a whole year of if and buts, I’ve decided to go ahead and train for QJL selection in 2019. Although I have some knowledge of the course, I would like to know as much as possible in terms of fitness requirements and what qualities they look for during the selection process. I have already started to train for selection, and hoping to pass and continue on. Furthermore, I’d like to know how to apply for Jl from sqn -
Many thanks,
-T

Application happens once a year. I think you might have missed this year’s selection, but I can’t remember seeing it.

It’s quite well publicised in terms of fitness criteria and I’m sure if you search on here there are some guides.

1 Like

it has been a while since i was on a Sqn which sent candidates each year

From what I remember selection occurs in September the key one here is physical fitness.
Be able to run the distance and other (sit up/press ups in line with RAF fitness I suspect) - and it is best to be able to smash it not just cross the line.

There is also an interview stage, basic check you’re mentally mature enough for the course material and format.

There might also be some team tasks to check your leadership/teamworking skills.

Best advice is ask around your wing to speak to someone who has been.

1 Like

Thinking ahead is a good idea. You’ve missed the bus for JL20, but are on the right path for next year.

The fitness test at selection is the classic one, 1.5mile run, press-ups, sit-ups. The standards are well publicised both by the RAF and in the selection paperwork, ask your staff to dig out this year’s documents.

However, just being able to run and do the exercises for the test is not really all you need for the course. A lot of what people struggle with is the endurance. Endurance to walk all day with webbing and a rifle, occasionally with a Bergen. One thing which really, really set me up for JL was doing Nijmegen first. You probably still have time to do this next year as well, the training, the kit and the mental determination you gain from Nijmegen all complement what you need at JL. If Nijmegen is not an option, do something similar. Also, practice your navigation skills!

2 Likes

This is the key and the thing that cdts can overlook.

Doing a bit of Phys is relatively easy.
Doing a bit of leadership is relatively easy.

Doing them both at the same time isn’t.

By all means give it a crack, but don’t underestimate the strains of the course.

Good luck!

3 Likes

Fitness and endurance as said. Navigation is a good one.

Provided you meet all the criteria you shouldn’t have a problem with selection.

Get as much teamwork and leadership practice in as you can. There are certain new skills that they will give you like O Groups, but you should have the foundation and affinity for leading a team fairly well nailed.

You should also have the fieldcraft syllabus and personal admin in the field relatively well nailed - the better you know these skills the easier the course will be. New things will be added like tactics, so needing to refresh or refine basic skills on the move will add a layer of learning you could do without.

Get as much time as you can in on the L98. Again, more will be added such as the SBFS, but needing to think too much about your weapons drills during a fire and manoeuvre exercise will slow you down and prevent you from absorbing the experience and honing the new skills.

It may also help to go into it knowing this (assuming by next year it’s still a weekend a month - I haven’t heard the alleged review has taken place or effect yet…): it may become difficult to motivate yourself when each weekend comes around and the format will inconvenience other parts of your life. After a weekend, make sure you revise and remember its contents before the next one so you can maintain your momentum.

1 Like

Add to that, applications are usually invited from around June/July, I think, and due by August. So keep a look out over summer.

Best of luck - hope you smash it.

1 Like

Thank you all so much! I’ve started a small training plan that includes so runs with a bergan with weights, moreover, going to have to do my l98 again, but happy to do so for this course :),
Thank you all so much!

Recommended you use kit, not weights. Weights will distribute the load differently to how your kit would be and it’s easy to push the overall load too far and cause yourself injuries.

Use less weight running distance than you would for walks. Generally, if you can sustain a quick walk with full kit in boots, you can run a short distance.

No point straining something and causing yourself issues that DQ you from the course or have long term adverse effects.

I do know people that have pushed too much with weights and have caused injuries that have precluded them from service.

2 Likes

Yeah, all of that ^

If you are running with weight, build up very slowly (start with an empty bergan - even that is about 2 kg) and use less than you walk with (so by the time you’re up to walking with 15kg, you want to be running with less than 10kg).

1 Like

As Matt says.
Water bladders are a good way of adding weight to a pack too.

1 Like

And a great way to ensure you stay hydrated!

Bonus… They get lighter as you go! :wink:

Well they do if you use them for the intended purpose.

A plus is that most decent daysacks have a compartment and attachments for a bladder, helping with weight distribution.

The issue bergans don’t, of course.

I used to stick them in the ‘secret’ pocket on the lid. Maps, gloves and chocolate going in the top pocket…

Mmmm chocolate - not had dinner yet

It’s 2018 - don’t forget your power monkey!