Israel and Gaza 2023

Absolutely! Armistice day is one of the most appropriate days of the year to show support for peace in the world and ceasefires. Armistice is literally a synonym for cease-fire.

4 Likes

The media are so, so effective at making you fear that they’re coming for you.

3 Likes

You should watch out for the cognitive bias which has clearly fed you for some time.

The learned experts will happily explain why you couldn’t be more wrong (and it’s not surprise I can instantly extrapolate many of the things you are likely to consider truths).

Just because you don’t understand something, doesn’t mean it can’t be true.

1 Like

Oh silly me. I forgot that war crimes cancel out war crimes.

Well, that’s not at all what I said, is it?

But just out of interest, are you as emotionally invested in civilian deaths in other conflicts, or just this one?

1 Like

It doesn’t matter that it’s playing into their hands. If anything, one would think that’s a good reason to be even more careful.

And yes, I take slight issue that you are implying I’m not as emotionally invested in civilian deaths elsewhere in the world. As a general rule, I tend to be more emotional about that one’s my nation state directly supports, then the ones they indirectly support.

The ones where I’m made out to be some sort of terrorist sympathisers by my own nation state are the ones I get really aggravated about though.

2 Likes
2 Likes

It’s hard to think of how any country could prosecute a military campaign with more care, though. Unless you advocate non military means, which is clearly non negotiable.

By blocking evacuation routes, and placing legitimate military targets in civilian areas, you could argue that Hamas are doing more to kill their own civilians than Israel.

That depends on whether your support lies with ordinary Palestinians, or with Hamas I guess. If it’s the former, then why not admit that whilst it’s Israeli weapons that are doing the damage, Hamas have some responsibility for those deaths also.

1 Like

One for the barrack room lawyers to debate.

https://x.com/archrose90/status/1722310114999242923?s=46&t=K7MGVro8uBnDTzpI5LHoLQ

Kay Burley’s understanding of IHL is rather simplistic, to say the least.

Turns out it can get even more ridiculous:

This seems to be nothing more than an attempt to cause the police to lose their political independence.

They lost that when they took the knee to BLM and stood by Just Stop Oil / Insulate Britain protests, then went in hard against the vigil for that poor woman, anti-lockdown protests, etc.

2 Likes

London Gaza rally: Braverman accuses Met of bias over Gaza marches

Home Secretary Suella Braverman has accused the Metropolitan Police of “playing favourites” over its handling of pro-Palestinian protests.

Writing in The Times, she said right-wing protests that became aggressive were often stopped, while “pro-Palestinian mobs” were permitted.

Referring to the right wing protests as protests, but referring to pro-Palestinian protests as ‘mobs’.

I can see who has a bias here, and it is not The Met.

3 Likes

Frankly I think the Commissioner should be out he front of NSY calling for her resignation live on Sky News. Telling the public he’s lost faith in her competence and sanity.

3 Likes

You misunderstand my comment; I’m talking about the current government being able to dictate to the police what they police and what they don’t.

It’s a dangerous precedent to set, as it would allow a government to use the police to halt political dissent, or protests against particular pieces of legislation; a key component of British democracy.

1 Like

A majority government could sint pass legislation to do that anyway.

Yep, they could. But it’d be political suicide.

It’s much easier to villify one side of an argument, then hammer the police so that the public think the police are backing the side that you’re villifying and will blame the police when things inevitably become violent during those protests, forcing the police to shift the way they work with those groups going forwards.

Wait, why does that sound so familiar?

2 Likes

MPs making regular, overt criticisms of operational policing decisions is seriously getting concerning now.

3 Likes

Maybe the police leadership need to ask themselves why?

Perhaps the self-reflection would be better carried out by government ministers?

Anyhow, we probably need to be a bit careful here. We’ve all seen how some people on this site respond to political debate.

2 Likes