Is it too PC to

I can’t believe I’ve just had to suspend someone for racist language.

I would argue that there’s no such thing as an offensive word - they’re just sounds after all. It’s attitudes and actions that are offensive.

2 Likes

On C4 or C5 it is undubbed, just there is a warning a tthe start.

I can…

Being PC isn’t a bad thing and why should people believe they have the right to label everything as “left” or “too PC” when in actual fact they are probably a bit bigoted and would cut off their nose to spite their face.

We change the way we speak and the words we use as we as a nation and culture (mostly) understand that attacking someone for something they can’t change is fundamentally wrong. Whether a word is acceptable to use depends on the person being referred to and whether they find it offensive not you.

1 Like

Perhaps people are just chicken?

2 Likes

I can’t tell if you’re being supportive or not. But for what it’s worth I agree.

But being “offended” doesn’t do anything.

I get offended by half the celebrities these days, TOWIE offends me.
Nothing actually happens.

The problem with the whole PC thing is that it becomes a way to control the way you think.
Instead of engaging in conversation and debate and contesting issues.

If you debate an issue, you can get a resolution, if you just ban people from saying things, people either say it anyway, or there’s no progression. Or understanding for it.

We have already seen it on here with the transgender issue. I find it fascinating and am happy to debate, debate can lead to understanding, on both sides. But you can’t just say “it’s offensive” or “its 2018” and then the issue stops… despite the fact there’s a huge mental health issues and suicide problem, but we can’t debate or challenges the issue for fear of being “transphobic” which is a ridiculous statement.

The word in question may well be offensive to some people, but it’s just a word. And if it’s so offensive then why is it rife in modern music, YouTube videos And between people in conversations.

You can’t just proclaim something is offensive and then it just goes away, and we all just hug and get along. You have to risk being offensive to find a solution. For example the civil rights movement or the movement towards socially accepting homosexuals and sexuality, they all stood up and risked being offensive, against the then social norms.

Allow your enemy to speak and manifest themselves into the monster they are.

History is full of times when it was ok to treat people differently.

History is full of violence and suffering and horrendous acts.

The Romans had a big slate trade.
The vikings had a slave trade.
The Arabs had a lucrative white slave trade.
Africa had a slave trade long before Europeans stepped foot in their shores.
Persian empire
Ottoman Empire.

Etc etc etc etc etc the list goes on.

History is full of violence, and oppression and terrible things.

But if it wasn’t for the Royal Navy and the 1807 slave trade act where would we be now?

1 Like

This would be the suicide problem largely driven by the lack of acceptance?

1 Like

No. That’s a misconception and a lazy answer to the questions.

The suicide rate for Jews in occupied Germany was lower than the suicide rate is currently for Transgenders, which holds just about even before and after transitioning.

Are you saying that transgenders in modern society face a greater level of persecution as Jews in Germany in the 1930s?

There is a whole host of other mental health issues that needs addressed. Along with physical effects and side effects. And that’s not even getting into the sterilisation of children in the pursuit of an issue we don’t fully understand.
There are countless examples And websites of sex change regret, and there’s even been studies stopped for (bigotry) when applied for at universities into transitioning back to their original sex.

There’s a growing number of transgenders that are even coming forward to bring forward the idea that more psychological treatment is needed.
The John Hopkins medical univeristy even refused to conduct surgeries for a while because it admitted that enough wasn’t know about the issue.

To come at it from a completely different angle, but can the polluted food chain, and massive amounts of estrogenic substances in our food, plastics and modern living that have contributed to the massive decrease of testosterone in men and the increased rate of fertility have an impact on hormone levels on children/unborn children?

And the suicide rate in America for transgender is about 7 in 100,000, and white men is 45 per 100,000.

OK, lets look at it another way.

Come up with literally any argument with any even vaguely sensible science that shows that being less accepting of transgender people will reduce any of the issues that they face.

You can debate the medical realities of gender dysphoria as long as you like and the precise methodology of treatment, but there is one inalienable fact: Treating transgender people with respect and as the gender with which they identify is the right thing to do, and will provide a much better environment for their mental health than not doing so.

But anyway, have a scientific paper that backs up the widely-acknowledged fact that external factors are the main driver in suicide rates. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5178031/

2 Likes
  1. transgender people are people. Not “transgenders”.
  2. get back on topic.
2 Likes

It’s short and easy to type. Or is that now too PC?

And locked.

1 Like