Is it really that bad?

It is almost as if you’ve never bothered to look at the photo :smiley:

Reading this again the question comes to my mind, do we really need to social media to publicise things?
If it’s squadron people will find out in due course. Does everyone else need to know?
It seems to cause lots and lots of problems in all areas, not via the original entry, but the entry getting sent to others, who then because they have no life outside the ATC (using the ATC as the example) like to make something of it if they can.
As I said not so very long ago photographs took time and would be selected for publicity, but now people take photos and videos with gay abandon and put them all over social media as they get caught up in the pretend excitement of the moment.

i know what you are saying…there should be perhaps a better self filter of does “everything” need to go on SM.

certainly our Wing has indicated “Facebook live” is a must not given the potential of something occuring which is not kosher occurred which “once seen/heard cannot be unseen/heard”

it would take away from the “capturing the moment” element - the photo in question is a good example. it is nice to see “action shots” of Cadets doing what they should have been for the last four years it is just unfortunate in this example the photo wasn’t perfect and has caused a storm of reaction.

no one is dismissing the CFAV for sharing a good news story, it is perhaps a case of being caught up in the moment and forgetting that filter…

We put quite a lot of stuff up on social media as, for us, it replaces the tired old media routes of the Air Cadet magazine, RAF news and the local rag.

For one thing It allows us to retain editorial control, so we know what we publish is accurate. The local rag used to reprint our submissions pretty much verbatim but recently hired a journalist whose role seems to be to inject lies into articles, so I stopped feeding them stories. RAF News isn’t ready by our target audience and the Air Cadet Magazine cannot stop themselves from adding a cheesy headline and aren’t interested in stories north or the border.

I don’t buy into the media frenzy or the rush to get things published as soon as they have happened. I find it is much better to work on the photos (tune, crop, select, edit, censor) and post them on Facebook with an article free from the usual cliches. If it is worth submitting to another format then we will do so.

The method hasn’t really changed, just the platform.

2 Likes

We’ve never bothered with anything other than local papers, we have a closed FB for internal things. Tried ACN never got in and as said RAFN not really our target audience.

When on local events we seem to have a couple of town FB page admins who put all manner of nonsense up without asking people. They’ve come unstuck a few times, but still do it!!

I personally like to chop photos around to keep them appropriate to us and not advertise everyone else.