Is Cadet Portal actually helpful

The correct approach will be to educate the squadron staff and encourage them to promulgate activities, with wing reviewing units who are falling short of that expectation as is, I believe, the intention.

I certainly hope not, we need to trust our OCā€™s to decide what their Cadets do and do not need to see.

I wear both hats and yes it can be annoying when unit OCā€™s donā€™t publicise stuff, but we should be dealing with those OCā€™s that are deliberately obstructing everything, rather than removing the ability of everyone to use their judgement.

2 Likes

Any sqn staff can push a event to the cadets. Not just the CO.

That would depend on the authority levels individual staff are given within SMS.

Authority levels explains why I canā€™t see other staff members profiles, email and address etc :roll_eyes:

A decision paper is currently with the Command Board about WSOs/RSOs being able to push events direct to Cadet Portal and bypass the Sqn.

Command Board members have been asked to provide feedback by 10 Feb, so we will know more about what methodology they would like is to adopt after that. These decisions will dictate the direction of travel in the development.

4 Likes

Ah that boardā€¦ the one where all have direct experience of having been a Sqn OCā€¦

Give me strength.

1 Like

Get a grip - they are the policy decision making body for the Organisation.

We have made sensible recommendations based on our pretty extensive experience of being Sqn OCs and I will be shocked if they donā€™t support what we are recommending. And if they donā€™t, we implement what we are told to implement.

9 Likes

Not every Sqn, is run by a douche bag tyrant.
Most in fact publicise every single opportunity they possibly can to all their cadets. As that is the reason for having Sqns!

But without the option to refuse the odd event where necessary, it becomes just that little bit more difficult to run the training program and Sqn.

But what would I knowā€¦
I will go ā€˜get that gripā€™ now.

2 Likes

I couldnā€™t agree more and our recommendations support the assumption that we should not plan for the lowest common denominator.

5 Likes

Just wondering, is there a way staff can view cadet portal as if they were a cadet? Iā€™ve just added some items on and want to make sure they are appearing correctly, and relevant forms are available for download etcā€¦ It would be handy if there was a ā€œview as cadetā€ optionā€¦

Or have I just missed it?

No, no way at all

Iā€™ll just have to break in as a cadet then to take a lookā€¦ !

Why would you need to?

Iā€™m just getting to grips with advertising events etc on CP, as we are in the process of introducing it to cadets and getting them signed up etcā€¦ I just want to be sure that the events I am putting up are showing how they should; and any JIā€™s and TGā€™s are downloadable.

Iā€™m sure all is fine, it is partly just my curiosity at how it looks and also to double check that I havenā€™t missed anything the cadets should be seeing.

1 Like

Trust youā€™ve got it right :+1:

I got one of my SNCOs to login and show the staff team at our 2020 kick off meeting.

2 Likes

It would be good if we had a ā€˜cadet viewā€™. I donā€™t know many systems where ā€˜administratorsā€™ canā€™t see what the end user sees. The feedback from that view helps people see any possible adjustments which could make the use experience better. As in squadron staff, that view would mean we can support cadets easier as questions arise as we know what they see.

1 Like

This has been covered extensively elsewhere in the forum.

3 Likes

Do you want pEpā€™s job?

2 Likes

Just giving it away now. Retirement is in sight!

5 Likes