Is becoming an NCO worth it?

Hi i know this sounds like a really stupid question but ive recently been asked if i want to go on a jnco course and i dont know if i should go or not as im not sure if being a corporal is worth it. I know that it would be a good opportunity but lots of corporals that i know say that whilst they enjoy being a corporal being a cadet is better as the corporals are dont take part in as many of the activities on squadron. For example theyre more likely to run an LCT exercise than be a part of the team doing the exercise and im not sure if i want that so i just wanted to know if anyone could tell me like the pros and cons of being a NCO.
Thanks

There’s no such thing as a stupid question. The answer to yours is yes.

Personally, I’d absolutely say it’s worth it - and I think for three reasons:

Even though a lot of the wing/region/corps activities have been paused you stand a much greater chance of being picked for some of the more interesting/exciting stuff if you’re an NCO - truth is, the general assumption is that a 17yo cadet is going to be a bit crap. Lacking in motivation - probably won’t apply themselves or get the most out of it.

As an NCO you’ll have a different/more interesting experience on your Sqn. You’ll have a role in shaping your Sqn, and you’ll be more involved.

When you move on you’ll find that the things you did, and that you learned, as a cadet NCO stand you in good stead - organising stuff, managing people - compared to those who’ve not done the NCO role. Everything in adult life is just easier - so when I started at university, I joined the almost extinct climbing club with a group of other first years: a little group of us effectively took over, organised trips away, got funding from the SU etc… and guess what? - turns out we were all ex-cadet NCO’s, whereas those who hadn’t had that experience and training sat back, because they simply had no experience of ‘making stuff happen’.

That had three effects: firstly it meant we got to choose where to go, not the sitabouts. Secondly we looked better to those we wanted to look good for - important part of being students - and thirdly we had more to talk about and show when we were doing job interviews at the end of our degrees. Our CV’s were fuller, we’d done management, finance/money, organisation…

1 Like

My advice is similar to what I would give to adults looking at uniform - it depends on your individual personal circumstances.

It’s what your current commitments are your knowledge & experience & whether you feel you are ready & if you trust you Sqn staff.

Having said that the duties of Cpl are often not too onerous and that first step whilst scary can be a good opportunity to develop.

It appears your Sqn is of the philosophy of sending cadets on JNCO courses before promotion. This makes things a bit tricky on whether it’s the right time for you as if you go too early you won’t perform as well & it kill your confidence.

However if you have been a cadet for at least 18 months and are a leading cadet then it’s probably around the right stage.

What is really good is that you are treating the role professionally about whether it is worth doing it rather than seeing as a shiny new badge or way of feeding your ego or power trip.

So as others have said above, if you are being offered the opportunity then go for it. Just brush on your drill & make sure your uniform is best you can make it.

If you feel you arent ready yet or unsure then say - but don’t delay too long. There’s plenty of others who will jump at the chance without the self awareness of their own competence- and there is nothing more frustrating in life than being managed/supervised/lead by someone who you know you can do a better job than but took the opportunity when you did not.

Going on an NCO course is also just a good opportunity in itself. You’ll get to meet lots of other cadets from across your wing and hear how they do things differently and maybe make some new friends! You’ll also learn more about leadership and drill, for example taking control of a squad. There’s no guarantee of promotion for attending (at least not in my part of the organisation) so why not try it and see?

5 Likes