Is a CO a parent to staff?

This is for OCs mainly.

Do you expect to be the communication conduit for absolutely everything.

I’ve just had a call from one of the CIs who is trying to sort out flight sim training for cadets. The Wing flying bod, won’t email him as it’s not a cadet email address. IMO we’re all adults and should be able to sort out our own things and just get on with it. It’s like being an adult and having your mates parents asking your parents if you’re allowed to go out and play.

I’ve got to wait before I contact this bloke, so I can measure my language.

All I’m interested in is are they going and when. I’m not interested in the ‘technical’ details and my life is too short to be expected to wipe people’s noses.

1 Like

Can the CI have access to a generic account (info@ZZZatc.org)? That will cover the “formal” address option & might be useful for other contact (RAF bases, whatever).

Quite right too… How do you know this person is an official member of staff? All communication should should be completed making user of the BADER Systems in order to remain compliant with DPA.

This is why every squadron has a general account (XXX@aircadets.org) for use by staff who are not the OC/Adj/TRG/SNCO.

With the migration of O365 we will all soon have joe.bloggs@aircadets.org email addresses - would you entertain an email from an alleged CFAV from hotmail/gmail, the key question is why are they working outside the system.

Do you send work emails from your gmail/hotmail account?

It all depends on access / Bader availability & time… Also, trying to locate past emails on Bader can be a bit of a nightmare.

In the past, I have used personal email when it was the best option - but added a “signature block” & also c.c’d one of the sqn “formal” accounts; it has never been an issue - including sending to up to the level of Cmdt XXFTS!

I use all email accounts to/from work.

The problem with the generic account is and always has been, there is no control over who looks at it or uses it.

The emails from the CI are sent to my OC account and the bods cadet account, and I’ve replied on this saying crack on. It shouldn’t matter that the CI isn’t using a ‘company’ email.

I think we get far too bothered about email accounts in the ATC. When major companies don’t get upset why the ATC does baffles me completely. Our HOD sends us emails from his personal account.

I’ve met this bloke and I imagine he has sets of instructions put up all over the place, as I don’t think he can think for himself. I imagine though he answers his mobile when he doesn’t know who the caller is, which I never do and I have taken measures not to get BS on the landline.

Ironically I get more spam in my OC account that any other email account I have, which must come from other people on the system when you get all address.

My company would get extremely upset if I tried to conduct company business from a private account.
Other companies would view it as a sacking offence and there could would be legal compliance implications.

It is RAFAC policy (for various legitimate reasons, when you consider it is an MOD system) that only official accounts can be used for official business. Your officer is correct (though not necessarily helpful) in adhering to that.

a bit like this example

Email Scandal

1 Like

A bit, but without the same national security implications :slight_smile:

bit of a tangent, but we’re expected to send news articles to a hotmail address for the Air Cadet Magazine. . .
editoraircadet@hotmail.com

Why can they not be given a dedicated @aircadets.org address?

Probably due to mailbox and attachment size limits, though surely that would be configurable for an official address.

Also, the editor is “Carol McCombe” and I have no idea if this is a RAFAC person or an independent. The name doesn’t appear on the HQAC contacts chart.

Last time I looked, not one of my 50 or so cadets had an @aircadets.org email address. Now I can with be sensible and use my RAFAC account to contact them (complete with copy to another CFAV) to say that “The details for AEF are…” or I could just drop the whole lot on FB (which I’m not allowed to do either). Of course, telephone calls are verboten, as are personal text messages, but I’m still expected to get an answer to a daft question to HQAC/RHQ/WHQ by lunchtime today. :thinking:

providing one link in the email chain is @aircadets.org all is fine…

that is how we have been told and how we operate.
email a single or group of Cadets providing it is @aircadets.org and you’re legit.

You must use Bader email.

It is fine to set up a Sqn Facebook account and do what you like with it. No naming protocol in place.

It is fine to set up a Sqn /wing staff personnel twitter account and do what you like with it. No naming protocol in place.

I had an email from a Wing Staff WO RAFAC recently asking me to send out to all to advertise an event.

It started " Sir’s, Marm’s, all"

We need more education.

No, I didn’t send the email out.

1 Like