Ironing of MTP PCS

Does anyone know what the regs are on the ironing of MTP as it is not mentioned in AP1358C?

Your No.3 uniform is not meant to have creases in it (Especially if you have MTP-PCS: the pockets and in the way of where creases would go).

Even though there are no creases it doesn’t mean that people can not maintain their No.3 Uniform (e.g. keep it clean, mud free and not severely wrinkled).

As our 2IC says (all in good humour incase anyone says anything): greens are for dying in…not ironing.

Having managed to acquire from somewhere or other the defense clothing team power-point regarding the care of MTP PCS it says

“DO iron the uniform normally. But don’t try and press creases in it. You will damage it.
Washing and Ironing have no effect on the clothing IRR properties.”

So yes, but no creases.

Thanks I was thinking along those lines from what I had found but just wanted to be sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Box creases all the way baby!

Lol!

When I picked my MTP up from Clothing Stores last week, those of us in the group were given a “lecture” on how to look after MTP. We were told quite strongly, that the only part of MTP that should be ironed, is the front lower portions of the collar, to stop them curling up. It was stressed that nothing else should be ironed.

We were also advised to wash MTP at 30 degrees and certainly no hotter than 40. MTP should not be tumbled dried, as the Velcro has been known to melt!

[quote=“hotshot” post=16849]When I picked my MTP up from Clothing Stores last week, those of us in the group were given a “lecture” on how to look after MTP. We were told quite strongly, that the only part of MTP that should be ironed, is the front lower portions of the collar, to stop them curling up. It was stressed that nothing else should be ironed.

We were also advised to wash MTP at 30 degrees and certainly no hotter than 40. MTP should not be tumbled dried, as the Velcro has been known to melt![/quote]

If you don’t iron the whole thing at least once you will end up with the packing creases in it forever. It does not damage the uniform. Anyone who tells you otherwise is telling porkies.

PCS can be tumble tried. If your tumble dryer melts the velcro you have an extremely hot tumble dryer that is probably damaging all your clothes! You should not iron the velcro as that WILL melt it.

Here is the brief for PCS:

Ah… I remember when my cadets started getting the CS95 ripstop field jacket.
Some of my NCOs turned up looking like it had been crumpled up stuffed in a bin bag for the last 6 years. Naturally I told them to have it pressed and looking neat by next parade. One cocky lass told me that she wouldn’t, because the man at the surplus store had told them that “it can’t be ironed because it’s made of plastic and would melt”. :ohmy:

Then there’s the old “ironing removes the IRR coating” polldarks…

Ah… I remember when my cadets started getting the CS95 ripstop field jacket.
Some of my NCOs turned up looking like it had been crumpled up stuffed in a bin bag for the last 6 years. Naturally I told them to have it pressed and looking neat by next parade. One cocky lass told me that she wouldn’t, because the man at the surplus store had told them that “it can’t be ironed because it’s made of plastic and would melt”. :ohmy:

Then there’s the old “ironing removes the IRR coating” polldarks…[/quote]

But Ironing could make the ripstop squares ‘bubble’

Though, probably only if the iron wasn’t at the ideal temperature. I never had a problem myself.

The whole “it’s made of plastic” did tickle me a bit though.

Anyhow, I showed the lass that I knew what I was talking about and that in this case she didn’t by ironing her jacket.

My brother in law in in the Welsh Guards and he has been told that PCS CU is not to be ironed. And the Guard will iron anything not nailed down or painted.

Not to be ironed, or not to have creases ironed in? Either way, I would take the Defence Clothing Team’s word over the that of the Welsh Guards any day. That and I have been ironing my PCS since I got it with no ill effects!

Of course, we could just check the label:

[attachment=150]PCSLabel.jpg[/attachment]

This sounds suspiciously like common sense Talon. We won’t stand for that here.

I iron mine, and, because I find it easier to iron things flat than not. I have creases down the middle of my legs.

DUN DUN DUN!

I think I remember seeing something on the jacket that said to steam iron as it helps increase water repellency…