Interesting raincoat

(Hope I haven’t doxxed myself)

Anyone shed some light on what they are wearing? Look like the old raincoats that I didn’t think were worn anymore?

3 Likes

I have seen recent footage of KCS in proper greatcoats (with huge rank insignia sewn on) so, judging from the absence of ties, I’m guessing this is their No. 2 coat for rehearsals? Like you, I thought these had been replaced by jeltex and then gore-tex though.

ETA: But we are talking about KCS here, who somehow still all have crew-neck jumpers years after they were replaced with the awful v-necks.

1 Like

Not worn anymore?? I wear mine all the time - granted not wth uniform though

1 Like

It looks like one of the (1970s?) raincoats I have one, not allowed for us but works well with a suit or as an outer layer during travel

Is this just another KCS-ism then?

looks like it! unless someone else can say otherwise I believe the only thing similar to this actually authorised are greatcoats

1 Like

I think it’s generally a bad look for the Guardsman to be in Full dress and the KCS to not even bother putting ties on :man_facepalming:

They did it last year for some ceremonial function aswell, turning up in No 2 dress for a foreign state visit, it really just makes the RAF look bad

2 Likes

Now you mention it, I don’t understand why KCS aren’t issued RAF full dress for state occasions. For some inexplicable reason, it’s become a band-only form of dress in the RAF: whereas it was previously worn by senior officers (including royals).

In the Army, it’s only when non-ceremonial units are covering public duties that ‘only’ No. 1s are worn on these occasions.

2 Likes

Full dress did look amazing. the hats were somewhat questionable though

2 Likes

The band service have swapped the busbies out for a slightly different SD cap with a bigger badge and a bit of gold around the peak.

2 Likes

probably for the best! I think the issue with them is that they lack the same tradition that the army regiments full dress have

1 Like

my argument is it is a rehearsal - is full uniform required? Dress rehearsal, absolutely - but it is a drill rehearsal, what is worn isn’t going to change how people stand in place or march up and down the road

1 Like

Wearing a coat without a jumper seems a little odd regardless of dress regs!

1 Like

well yes - i did cringe at the Squadron tshirt under the large coat and wondered what benefit that offered over simply wearing No2 dress

1 Like

Not to mention that Army No1s are the equivalent of RAF Full dress anyway!!!

No, but it’s public rehersal in the ceremonial district, for rehersals 2(full) or 2A in the summer is probably appropriate, but some raincoat that hasn’t been worn since the 80s and short sleeve shirt is a bit of a slap in the face to the other military units preparing and the Nigerian group whom we’re hosting

3 Likes

A service contact has told me their understanding is they will be KCS issue only too

1 Like

What the raincoats? Are these a new version of the flasher macs?

Greatcoat is on its way out

2 Likes

What will be used for ceremonial in winter then for non-KCS?

Who knows.

A perfectly acceptable answer could be nothing. No 1 jackets does a good enough job.

1 Like