Indoor Flagpole

On a squadron that has no outside space, in a drill hall. Is it possible to have a flagpole inside in the hall to fly the ensign from? Can’t seem to find any information either way.

We have one

I know of one unit our wing that has one as well.

I don’t know how the rules for not flying the ensign at night apply to indoor (or illuminated outdoor) poles though.

Perfectly, though you won’t find any regulations governing such things. It’s a pragmatic and inexpensive solution for units with no flagpole outside and is very common in organisations such as the Scouts and Sea Cadets, as well as the odd Air Cadet Squadron. I’ve seen free-standing poles, poles that come out at an angle from the wall and simplest of all - no pole at all, just a pulley and lanyard running up one wall.

Essentially treat it as you would an outdoor ensign - raise/salute at initial parade and then lower/salute at final parade.

As an alternative to raising the ensign (difficult if it’s only about 3 feet from bottom to top of the lanyard!), you could do what the Scouts and SCC usually do - the ensign is rolled up and held in place by a loop of lanyard. When the lanyard is tugged, the ensign ‘breaks’ - i.e. simply unfurls at the top of the pole.

Thanks gents, looks like the next step is to acquire one and work out where to put it.

GOM - I do note that “breaking” the ensign is specifically verboten!

It is indeed.

We have an outdoor mast and we only raise and lower the ensign when there is enough light to see us through until break time at least. I make a point that we will do it as the RAF do it: a small party raises and lowers the ensign at the appointed time and all those hearing the whistle stand at attention and face the mast (officers salute). that is what will be encountered on an RAF station. We don’t parade everyone for it, though if you have an indoor mast you may end up doing it as part of the parade instead.

[quote=“arl” post=23604]Thanks gents, looks like the next step is to acquire one and work out where to put it.

GOM - I do note that “breaking” the ensign is specifically verboten![/quote]

Is it indeed? It’s not something I’ve looked into wrt the ATC.

It is indeed.

We have an outdoor mast and we only raise and lower the ensign when there is enough light to see us through until break time at least. I make a point that we will do it as the RAF do it: a small party raises and lowers the ensign at the appointed time and all those hearing the whistle stand at attention and face the mast (officers salute). that is what will be encountered on an RAF station. We don’t parade everyone for it, though if you have an indoor mast you may end up doing it as part of the parade instead.[/quote]

In good weather we do initial parade outside and raise the ensign at the same time. In bad weather, a small party will raise it. A small party will then lower it at sunset.