Improvements to NCO leadership

Good day to everyone, first post so excuse any idiocy

I was wondering what is wrong with NCO leadership in general and what could be improved in that regard
I get that some NCOs are full of themselves since that’s quite obvious though I still don’t know how to really improve NCO leadership (except for maybe making the NCO selection process harder to pass and trying to eliminate the whole ‘promoted due to boot licking/because some officer likes them’ thing)
But seriously, how can NCO leadership actually be effectively improved?

P.S: I don’t even know what category this fits in so excuse that one too, cheers

Where are you approaching this from? I get the feeling there’s an angle, a problem, and a goal far more specific than you’ve been…

Are you meaning on your unit, or across the organisation, or something in between?

I don’t know how to respond otherwise.

1 Like

Having said that, the generic response is training, experience, and mentoring.

I always find that leadership issues normally stem from them trying to get one up on each other…get them working together and a one vision approach.

Everyone singing from the same hymn sheet will massively help

I’m talking about across the organization, detail ain’t my forte it seems

Reasonable enough, cheers for the input!
I’m guessing trying to get everyone to sing from the same hymn sheet will be quite difficult but on paper it works

1 Like

The foundation of leadership is in teamwork. Leaving out any feelings aside about the PTS, the Corps has made inroads into training and standards, and consistency of - all of the PTS leadership actually revolves around teamwork, while introducing leadership skills and techniques for individuals to use when relevant. Other than that, those on the course are developing their teamwork.

Welcome to leadership. The ability to persuade and influence others is a necessary part of leading. The ILM L3 includes a module featuring mission statements which builds on and formalises that.

What about leadership within the Corps do you think needs improving?

You mentioned NCOs being full of themselves, that’s a coaching/mentoring issue. But those scenarios need dealing with individually.

Leadership is indeed teamwork and I honestly can’t argue with that. But, at least in my opinion, that’s where some NCOs fail.

The only examples I can give are examples from my unit (though of course they will remain unnamed). For example, I have a few NCOs that don’t seem to know what respect for others or teamwork really mean. They are regarded highly by their COs (mostly because they act as they should whenever they’re around yet continue to be absolute knobs otherwise). They have received quite a lot of training and mentoring (from their CO and the WO) so I don’t really think that would be a problem.

Basically, I suppose that behaviour needs a major improvement in some cases, other times it’s just that the person was chosen at a bad time, maybe the higher-ups/mentors were too busy to actually help the new NCOs/NCOs in need of improvement understand what they actually need to do, a lot of people trying to be independent, doing the guesswork and then proceeding to make an absolute donut out of themselves/the whole unit, etc…

Most of those are actually scenarios that have to be dealt with individually like the cocky NCOs but they’re the one I can think of right now
I am not an NCO so I can’t really act as if I know it all because I certainly don’t so eh.

You’re not an NCO, so your avatar suggests to me you’re a CCF Cadet?

Indeed I am

Well I can’t solve those problems, and neither can you at the moment. But I will say this:

People like you are the key to improving the standards of leadership within the RAFAC. People who can look at the traits and behaviours of others and model their own actions according to whether the conduct they see is positive or negative.

You might become an NCO one day and there are others like you, and if you and they can use what you’ve seen to become a better generation of NCOs then the standards will have been improved.

1 Like

Yes no one can really solve the problems so thank you regardless.

Thank you, I have already been selected to be an NCO so hopefully that’s the case. What you did say in the thread is quite useful though so I’ll certainly keep the points you’ve made in mind.

Again, thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question!

1 Like

You seem good. Promise to keep your head screwed on and I’ll wish you the best of luck…

I’ll make sure me head stays screwed on at all times then, cheers

2 Likes

And follow dress regs :wink:

3 Likes

CCF dress regs include white socks and long hair on gentlemen. Don’t let anyone from the ATC tell you otherwise

5 Likes

Our dress regs also include heli pads and unpolished boots :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I was once asked to Judge uniform at their schools challenge…wish I took up the opportunity now ha

1 Like

Next time it comes round, do it Alex! CCFs will give you a heck of a surprise - on either end of the scale…

It was only from an ATC WO that volunteered to come in one time that I was told about AP1358C. It was all hand-me-down advice prior to that!

3 Likes

Amen to that

2 Likes