Immediate wheels

So, a few times (all on one camp, actually) I’ve heard a command such as “Squad, by the right with immediate right wheel, quick march!” I couldn’t find anything about it in AP818 after a quick skim, so now I’m wondering if it’s just one of those things people do or if it has any actual standing. Does anybody have a reference to… something?

I believe (and may well be wrong) that it’s just something that is done but isn’t written down anywhere, so therefore probably not an official movement. Similar to mass misunderstanding of what “in column of route” is and what it means.

1 Like

Not common, but I believe the correct usage is:

“Flight, left/right wheel, by the left/right, quick march”

I think it’s more commonly a parade thing that gets used when necessary. @AlexCorbin may know better.

The only bit a similar situation is mentioned is in the alternative parade arrangements for squadron drill. The command is this:

No X Flight, Left/Right Wheel by the Left/Right, Quick March

Obviously replace No X Flight for the right description of your body of cadets.

1 Like

I remember it as “By the left, left wheel, quick march”, but I cannot find a reference to it in current documentation or in ACP19. It might have been detailed in the previous 818.

That’s my recollection and what I would give if the need arose, but has no doubt changed.

“Squad, by the left, left wheel, quick march” is what we’ve always been taught and have used.

Realistically it doesn’t really matter whether the order for wheeling or the order for dressing comes first.
But there is certainly no need to be creating new words of command.
“By the right with an immediate right wheel…” just sounds bloody stupid to my ears. Every time I hear it I have this conversation.

2 Likes

I always thought the
Immediate command was when someone made a mess and needed you to turn… immediately

Not in a few steps time
So the inside marker was basically marking time as they turned not inching forward if that makes sense…

No, there’s no such thing.
It’s used albeit incorrectly when there is a need to wheel as soon as they step off.

Regardless, all wheels should be completed in 6 paces around a 4’ radius.

1 Like

I went to go look for an actual example and came across the Hong Kong handover ceremony. It’s at 18:35. “Colour party, take post, left wheel, quick march!”

Why would you spend valuable extra time adding a superfluous four-syllable word in then?

Not an ideal example, as the “take post” isn’t a proper wheel such as you would perform when marching a flight.

Pass…That was what I was taught as a cadet many moons ago

Thats only really used during banner drill to move the party through 90 degrees as you obviously cant turn them on the spot

It’s not a real thing, but it’s a way of getting a squad out of a tight corner. If it works and if everyone understands what you meant, who cares?

The manual’s just a guide, after all. And there’s a precedent set within that it is a valid command when the situation requires it.

People care only because there is a correct way to do it without: a. Inventing new words of command, and b. Sounding like a complete tit.

“Squad… Okay, off we go!..” or “There’s an officer… Everybody turn your heads to the left!” would be perfectly understandably ways of achieving a purpose too… But it’s not how it’s done.

1 Like

It’s not how it’s done because we teach everyone a form of military language to do those things in fewer words. Think about how much education goes in to ensuring that officers are saluted correctly. There’s how to physically salute, how to recognise who to salute, knowing when and where to salute. All of that is then boiled down into a couple of words.

When I want someone to do something for the first time, and it doesn’t fit within the education they have, I will quite happily spend a few extra seconds ‘sounding like a tit’ to ensure everyone knows what I expect of them.

1 Like

That said, not everything has/needs a drill command. Sometimes it is just easier and more effective to say “ok, gather round” or whatever.

Absolutely. Which is the case here. “…with an immediate right wheel…” is corrected to the form of military language using fewer words.

I quite agree, and that’ one of the things I routinely try to get across to cadet NCOs during training (along with - you don’t need to size the squad every time you want them to fall in).
But in this case it is a drill movement and there is a command for the purpose.