If you could redesign the uniform, what would you add to it?

by the looks of it, school

That’s what I would expect, too.

Lots of CCFs do some surprising things on their own premises - take a look at the Duke of York’s Royal Military School, for example.

It’s quite common for CCF cadets to wear sashes, carry pace sticks, etc. for things like school Remembrance Parades or Biennial Inspections. I went to one at a public school in the SE last year which made even me wince. But realistically, there isn’t much that RAFAC can do - remember, even Comdt AC is not in the chain of command for a CCF officer. They could, I suppose, make representations to MOD asking them to close the unit, but I doubt that would really be feasible.

Social media means you know about it - before, you didn’t…

can anyone identify the aircraft in the background???

Why not cut them loose then?

If they don’t actually answer to the comdt, why should they be supported by the organisation?

Because they put more money in that the ATC units so are more cost effective?

E.g. all PTS badges have to be purchased by the unit & not supplied through air cadet logs.

They only parade 30 weeks of the year. There’s no rent or infrastructure costs. The amount of VA consumed is negligible compared to the ATC.

The cadets looked smart. It was RAF uniform dress & keeping in traditions of their school. Probably all Heads of sections wore a service appropriate sash.

It would be impractical to kit out all the ATC units likewise & if you permitted it you would end up with the situation we had with ATC cadets in No 1s where the tunics were all faded moth eaten ones that no longer looked smart.

It looked fine - let them crack on.

3 Likes

Well you might well ask why there was such a push to fuller integration when things worked fine as they were… I think a lot of those pushing for the change didn’t understand the C2

So because they’re rich just let them get on with it?

Got it :+1:

I Disagree, the CCF (Army) cadets at least looked well turned out with correct head dress, well fitted belts and more importantly they were within their regulations.

Whereas the CCF(RAF) cadets, even their CWO looked sloppy

1 Like

Maybe, and I know I’m stretching for something a bit here, instead of coming online to slag off and publicly humiliate children and volunteers you could offer to support them to get to this mythical standard you aspire to?

Or you could just accept we’re not all perfect and that in the scheme of things it has a negligible impact on anyone else and just go and do something you enjoy? Take a breath and walk around and remember no one else cares that much?

7 Likes

Worst case, if it bothers you that much, mention it to your WWO and let them decide if it’s worth doing anything about.

i’m not slagging off the cadets, hence why i removed their faces from the photographs and didn’t say which CCF it was?and why are you arguing that standards shouldn’t be standard?

If you want to disagree with a moderator decision please feel free to PM us, or ready our AUP.

Its not their fault, its a leadership issue.

1 Like

i’m not disagreeing with a mod decision, rather with you.

i can somewhat see why you took down the images I posted, hence why i’ve not argued with you on that once

I think the point is that you haven’t raised it here for a constructive purpose and that this isn’t really the forum for that kind of discussion. If you truly want to maintain standards then there are for more effective ways of doing it.

Blurring faces and not mentioning the unit doesn’t remove the risk of the people in it or those who may recognise the photos from seeing this thread.

You’re bc acting as if being tongue & cheek about issues isn’t half the soul of this forum

could you elaborate on this because i don’t quite understand what you mean

It’s not tongue in cheek though. It’s just stacking other volunteers who aren’t here to defend themselves.

علبلتنخه

4 Likes

Which, having done both (and not liked it at all because it wasn’t under RAFAC dress regs), I can confirm it is indeed quite common. I suppose on that note, how common is No.1s uniform? I’ve always been curious as to how many units have enough sets for their cadets.

Careful now, without getting too political a lot of the schools with CCFs have bursary programmes that allow students who would be unable to attend, due to financial disadvantage, to be there. This is also (incidentally) how they have their Charity Status (for now.)

Also, I suspect we’d (universally, within reason) be much better integrated to RAFAC as a whole. Doing anything on the weekend for us is a nightmare (since our staff are, you know, having a break from the 5/6 day week they’ve just worked?) and well Summer Holidays they’re just not there. So us actually doing anything with the rest of RAFAC is a nigh impossibility.

Trust me, having come from a CCF(RAF) unit, I lament this. However, in my experience when we ask for kit from up the chain, we either don’t get anything at all, or we get gash kit (which is US and has to be chucked back practically the moment it arrives), poor quality, or wrong sized stuff. I think I elaborated this before, but when we got our first female cadets (10ish years ago?) we had no female dress (no blouses, no female trousers, no skirts, etc). We still hadn’t got any by the time I was made CWO (last year).

For what it is worth, the CCF(RAF) staff do try. I do genuinely feel that, regarding kit (among other things) we get stitched up. I do not feel honestly that we fit within the RAFAC structure as a whole (as in, my Unit is just not in a Wing) and we are sort of labelled the “unprofessionals”, or somehow are the “all the gear no idea” crowd, because we “do less” (have to fit in CCF around our school timetable), yet somehow are perceived to have the money. We don’t.
I don’t want to slate the rest of RAFAC, because from my personal experience, they’re an excellent professional group (as in, the staff I’ve met), but it genuinely feels like we’re in a tug of war, and it just should not be that way.

I’d also add that many CCF’s are in state schools and are staffed by external volunteers, not teachers - this is the case with mine.

I would also rail against the ‘sloppy’ label - my Cadets are at a very high standard. This might be because I am ex-ATC as a Cadet and it’s the standard I expect, but we are by no means alone as a unit in caring about our standards.

There are sloppy RAF Sections, there are also sloppy ATC squadrons. It’s always the worst that get picked up on isn’t it? I would rather people stopped trying to pull people down though personally.

9 Likes

[four Yorkshiremen voice]six day week? you were lucky![/four Yorkshiremen voice]

3 Likes

Name badges :slight_smile: