If I go to a gliding club out of cadets, can I work towards my gliding badges with them?

I am currently a junior member in a gliding club and I was wondering if this would help with my gliding badges. It is a BGA club and I have a Pilot’s Log Book with them.

In theory if you go solo you could be eligible for the C wings to signify you did it at a civilian club.

1 Like

In practice, too!

The old system was that if you soloed with a BGA club, you could be awarded silver wings. Now, you get the C wings badge instead. If you get to that stage (and good luck, great thing to get involved in) then speak to your Sqn staff about getting the badge issued.

This ^
But you will need to produce copies of certificates and your log book too as they would need to go to 2FTS for verification

What if you were to fly as part of an RAF gliding club, such as the RAFGSA CHILTERN GLIDING CLUB

Would it still count as being done with a civilian club or could you actually get your wings through these clubs?

No difference, except that the RAFGSA clubs have preferential rates for cadets.

As you can go solo with a civilian club at the age of 14, you can qualify for C wings at that age (and not have to wait until you are 16).

One of ours did that last year. :sunglasses:

Why would you need more than the certificate?
Are certificates given out by the BGA without them as the issuing authority checking that all is in order?
This seems to be part of the messing with our trainset culture of the Air Cadets and RAF and we can’t have that.

Under the old regime I had GS wings issued for one of my cadets who’d gone solo. They didn’t ask, and I didn’t tell them, that he was only 15…

1 Like

So do BGA clubs. Our cadets can get a winch launch plus up to 30 minutes flying for £8. That costs anyone else £8.50 for the launch plus 46p / minutes.

Crickey.
Back in my day a winch launch cost £3.50 and I could get an aerotow to 2000’ for £12.50.
Can you tell that it’s been a few years?