Ideas for first aid exercice

trying to come up with ideas for a first aid exercise scenario can anyone help

easiest one to do has got to be an RTA - you just need a car, a ā€˜liveā€™ casualty, a pushbike strewn across the road, a resus Annie, and a hysterical car driver to give it all a bit of realism. the Annie allows you to do the AB tasks and resusitation, and the live casualty lets you do broken bones, bleeding, reassurance etcā€¦

easy to set up, with good ā€˜buy-inā€™, and lets face it, probably the most likely serious incident any cadet is likely to come across.

1 Like

When the next directive(s), policy(ies) or changes come out from HQAC give them to staff in room with plenty of sharp implements to hand or you can just deal with the head injuries when they bang their heads on tables or walls.
Go to a Risk Ass writing course. The one I was on should have had a risk assessment to reduce the desire to self-harm, Iā€™d lost the will after the first ppt slide.

Other than that the ones we tend to get on FAW are cuts with a knife, fallen off a chair/ladder with maybe the added interest of a power tool on the floor. Iā€™ve had the power tool with an annie for unconscious as well. These represent the sorts of things 99% of first aiders will deal with. A good one is someone who has collapsed at a party after vomiting heavily which will be quite realistic for many teenagers and what I dealt with when I was at 6th Form, Iā€™d done a an FA course for my life-saving and was called for, which was irritating at the time for personal reasons. Lots of hysterical p!$$ed girls getting in the way add to the realism. These are quite simple to set up and means you can have several on the go at once. The one thing Iā€™ve found cadets are poor at is engaging with casualties. I brief casualties to go unconscious if they arenā€™t spoken to for more than 30 seconds. Which again is what I have found on FAWs.

I do think at times in the ATC people get over-excited about what constitutes a first aid scenario and go for things that are extremely rare, just because it might be deemed as exciting. Most first aid is boring in terms of the treatment.

1 Like

Something that one of my Cpls dealt with on his 18th this year and as a result ended up doing CPR on the drunk friend.

3 Likes

Most common first aid events that Iā€™ve witnessed or assisted at:

Choking
Burns/scalds
Fall from height
RTA &/or cyclist accident
Heart attack

In the home (or ā€œnear-homeā€ environment = school, to/from school, local shopping, etc) = high chance of an event!

Why not incorporate a casualty into a routine Fire Drill?
The cadets wonā€™t be expecting it and might make things more realistic.

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t expect cadets to be attempting to rescue such people during a fire drill - they should be briefed to follow the escape routes, and not try any heroics. If they know of some inside, they then make it known for the fire brigade to take into consideration - however, they arenā€™t rescue workers, and shouldnā€™t be taking risks. Even if itā€™s obviously fake.

2 Likes

If, on the way out of a building, the cadets happen upon a casualty I would hope they would not run past but would engage their first aid training to assess the situation, obviously starting with ā€œDā€.

Walking wounded? Dragged out.

Unconscious? Either rolled onto their front and dragged out, and dealt with outside at a safe area.

Or left in the building, mark and report where they are to the Control room and the incident commander, if itā€™s safe and you have time roll them into the recovery position.

You donā€™t want to be blocking escape routes or endangering yourself and others. And cadets or indeed anyone should never enter the building to fight a fire or to address a casualty. Get out, stay out and get those lazy firefighters out. If they arenā€™t on strike.

Whoops sorry - I thought I was replying to the other thread about initiative exercises.