Ideal RAFAC Uniform

On my form it listed combat boots as an optional item at private expense. But my station wouldn’t issue them.

That said they never issued most of my entitled kit either. Had to beg steal & borrow (or eBay) for the missing items.

Ah yes, 'cos MOD always pay less, Not

Do what us CI’s do, wear mufti. Corps saves a fortune, and we fit in with everyone else in the Sqdn.

1 Like

What’s it for?

Is it all fitted properly or the standard two sizes of too big or too small?

You’ll get something vaguely fitting you

Close enough for government work.

Replacing uniform as intial kitting wears out.

is there not an element of “personal grooming” (ie shaving kit) somewhat irrelevant as of 18 months ago when beards were permitted included in that allowance?

I have a vague recollection of someone saying the allowance goes towards personal expenses to meet uniform standards such as shaving and hair cuts even if it wouldn’t touch the sides over a years spending

Would barely buy 1 pack of razors!

1 Like

precisely but like i say, i thought it was one of those old traditions from the 50s that kept going…

to be fair £20 doesn’t go far on replacing wear and tear on uniform…

The beard still has to be neat and trimmed, so you’d still need a kit to maintain it.

Also it’s hardly fair to withdraw the allowance from those of us who are on Roald Dahl’s side on beards* just because some choose to grow them.

*Read ‘The Twits’ if you don’t get that reference…

i don’t believe it is, or has been removed.

simply the allowance was not just for replacing worn out uniform but also personal grooming (which for females includes hair accessories such as hair bands and clips etc)

the allowance doesn’t get anywhere near the likely annual cost of either of these, but there to go towards these kind of items.
Spending £15 on a replacement beret then doesn’t mean i can’t shave for the rest of the year because i have spent most of my allowance on uniform - it is a subsidy

Hopefully ASTRA does not take inspiration from RAAF uniform :face_vomiting:

1 Like

looks like a similar cut to PCS??

i actually like the short sleeve design, saves the faff of folding up material although i would prefer it to be worn tucked in

I really don’t get the point of these blue camo schemes. Ok maybe as a paint scheme on an aircraft but useless if you need to take cover on the ground.

3 Likes

Tone it down, and it would be fine.

I’d still go for RN PCS, with RAF naming and TRF.

1 Like

The ‘blue cam’ schemes are ridiculous - probably not very safe for someone working on the flightline at Lossie, and a menace for someone working on a Wokka in Mali…

The RAN have a grey version that they use on ships - cue lots of accidents with not being able the see each other as they move around, and of course somewhat hazardous in the event of a man overboard.

And then, rather like the story of each US service having their own camouflage - when they work together on operations they have to be issued with yet another uniform (the US Army Multicam thing) so they won’t be targeted because they stand out.

Absolute joke…

1 Like

I can just about see the point of a grey urban camo for law enforcement, but really black or grey is fine (if it’s good enough for Them on CT duty…) For the forces, field kit should be a green camo. The RN still has MTP, as well as their blue PCS, for those who need it.

I think the example above just looks daft. But the Australian version of No 2 actually looks pretty good. Slightly more casual than ours but still smart.